· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: tarantulas

1. Default tarantulas

0 Not allowed!
    Do any of you keep them? A good friend of mine breeds them and I've thought about it for a while but just recently I've really thought about getting into them. Not only are they interesting (and many of them look absolutely stunning) but compared to fish, they don't cost anything. The spiders themselves cost more than the other things, and they don't need to eat too often.

So yeah, just wondering if anyone here at the ac keeps em
    moar tanks plz

29g planted tank: 8 Cherry Barbs (2 male, 6 female), 2 Kribensis (male and female), 1 Dwarf Gourami (male), 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been keeping them on and off for more than 10 years. They are amazing to watch, interesting to feed, and can be quite colorful depending on what you get. If you are starting out, I would recommend something that will web the crap out of the tank and wont require too much work. Trust me, Ive kept bugs that took a ton of work. For feeding, you can do crickets, but mine were all fed roaches. Roaches are much healthier for them, and if you really get into the T's you can breed your own instead of constantly buying crickets that die and stink. As for cost.. depends on what you think is expensive. I had spiders ranging from 1/4" spiderlings to 13" adults, so housing was anything from a vial to a 40 gallon tank. Substrate was a mix of unfertilized peat and vermiculite. Water dishes, misting bottles. Once the initial cost is made, upkeep cost is almost nonexistant.
    I would love to have them again now, but my boyfriend is terrified and his cats are serious hunters so until the cats go to the litter box in the sky, there is no sense in me even trying to convince him.. I can just keep adding fishtanks and pulis until then!
    Last edited by Kerry; 10-24-2010 at 08:56 AM.
    75g not quite a FOWLR and not quite a reef with 20 Nassarius snails, 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Firefish, 1 bicolor angelfish, 6 dwarf hermits, 1 emerald crab, a passel of Margarita snails, the biggest Turbo Snail Ive ever seen, and a partidge in a Kenya Tree.
    40gbreeder Coral/Clam Reef in the making.

0 Not allowed!
    YIKES!! Spiders scares the living soul out of me!! You guys are brave:) KUDOS!, then again I scream like a little girl at my own reflection sometimes.
    初心者
    Spokane Aquarist
    20Gal: new start
    64Gal new start

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    Ive been keeping them on and off for more than 10 years. They are amazing to watch, interesting to feed, and can be quite colorful depending on what you get. If you are starting out, I would recommend something that will web the crap out of the tank and wont require too much work. Trust me, Ive kept bugs that took a ton of work. For feeding, you can do crickets, but mine were all fed roaches. Roaches are much healthier for them, and if you really get into the T's you can breed your own instead of constantly buying crickets that die and stink. As for cost.. depends on what you think is expensive. I had spiders ranging from 1/4" spiderlings to 13" adults, so housing was anything from a vial to a 40 gallon tank. Substrate was a mix of unfertilized peat and vermiculite. Water dishes, misting bottles. Once the initial cost is made, upkeep cost is almost nonexistant.
    I would love to have them again now, but my boyfriend is terrified and his cats are serious hunters so until the cats go to the litter box in the sky, there is no sense in me even trying to convince him.. I can just keep adding fishtanks and pulis until then!
    Awesome I was thinking about an A. versicolor or A. avicularia but I think I shoud start out with something a little easier (and slower... that won't poop on me ) So luckily my friend has a B. emilia he's willing to send to me for free-- along with some roaches and a vial with just about everything I need.

Hard part is convincing the family. My mother seems to think tarantulas are vicious bloodsucking creatures from the depths of hell and that their bites are deadly and they flick hairs in your eyes and make you blind, lol. It's not easy trying to educate stubborn people.

and edit: hoy crap that's a ot of orange faces D:
    moar tanks plz

29g planted tank: 8 Cherry Barbs (2 male, 6 female), 2 Kribensis (male and female), 1 Dwarf Gourami (male), 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeddi
    tarantulas are vicious bloodsucking creatures from the depths of hell and that their bites are deadly and they flick hairs in your eyes and make you blind
    agreed...!!!
    初心者
    Spokane Aquarist
    20Gal: new start
    64Gal new start

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I haven't cared for tarantulas, but I've done a bit of research. One day I hope to design and implement an experiment that tests the intelligence of a tarantula species.

You can possibly reassure your mom by telling her that typically you would keep any lids/hoods on the tarantula habitat locked securely. Tarantulas are known for their climbing and escaping abilities. The other thing you can tell her is that handling of the tarantula would be an absolute minimum to reduce injury to the spider. If a tarantula loses part or an entire leg, generally, they can regrow them next molt. However, there is no healing if the tarantula's abdomen ruptures (from being dropped, jumping from too high a position, or landing improperly), which is an excruciating way to go.

Also, its probably hard for her to believe, but tarantula bites aren't generally fatal to humans. It would hurt like the dickens, since most of the fangs are large. The thing to worry about here is a preexisting, anaphylactic reaction. There's a large spider in Brazil who is very aggressive towards humans, and is said to have an extraordinarily painful bite; but that spider species isn't really on the market (no one wants to try to catch it).

Good luck! I hope you are able to get one! If so, please post pics :D
    Well, it seems all the fish in the rivers are dying. Could this be an act of cod? --Colin Mochrie

Never forget only dead fish swim with the stream. --Malcolm Muggeridge

Please visit my AC blog: Tank-side Thoughts

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I laughed when I read the jump and poop on you sentence. My roomie wasnt very good with my T's and more than once I heard HIM squeel when one of my avics launched at him from a table top. They can clear 4 ft or more in the blink of an eye.
    Bloodsucking.. not so much. Although there are some nasty characters out there that will hiss at you, strike at you, and chase you. Yes, I was chased by an escaped 9 incher. Yes, I ran.
    The hairs on the brachy species like the emilia can be very irritating to the eyes. I dont like to keep these because of that reason and because they grow so very SLOW. And we wont go into how boring I think they are, since there are plenty of people with different opinions.
    The avicularia species are a ton of fun to keep but you need to have more vertical room for them since they are climbers. They are pretty.
    For a first timer, I would recommend a Chaco Golden Knee. They grow pretty honkin big, are voracious eaters, and are one of the most mellow species Ive encountered.
    As with all of them, even though there are plenty of species that are considered handleable, I recommend against it. One single fall can be the end. You cant fix a split open carapace no matter how much super glue you use. These guys can and will hit 9+ inches of leg span within a pretty short time.
    Also, keep in mind that the males arent going to live very long, so if you invest in a female, you will have upwards past 10 years of spider to enjoy, but with a male, he will reach his final molt within a couple of years and then will deteriorate from there. My longest lived male was a Chaco Golden Knee mistakenly named Darla who made it to almost 5 years old.
    Try going to Swifts Inverts website and looking around. Kelly has a great variety of T's on there to look through.
    75g not quite a FOWLR and not quite a reef with 20 Nassarius snails, 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Firefish, 1 bicolor angelfish, 6 dwarf hermits, 1 emerald crab, a passel of Margarita snails, the biggest Turbo Snail Ive ever seen, and a partidge in a Kenya Tree.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My friend has 2 rooms filled with spiders, at least 100 overall. I have glasses so I'm not worried about them getting in my eyes-- and as far as I've heard if they get on your skin they just itch a little, though with some species it's different. I don't plan on handling much, I may do it every so often but as with fish, I see them as an observable pet rather than one to 'play' with. All tarantulas are beautiful in my opinion-- Hopefully when I get more money I can start a little collection.

My mom gets several tall 1g jars from her work... if I'm able to get arboreal species then that's just great :P I've been pestering my mom for almost a week now. She's still apprehensive and probably always will be, but with enough annoyance (LOL) she'll eventually give in, and once she sees they aren't that bad she should be fine.

She's also pretty skeptical when it comes to getting one off the internet; especially when it's free. I'm going to tell her its 5 bucks so it doesn't seem so strange-- even though the 5 bucks in only for shipping. :P
    Last edited by Jeddi; 10-24-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    moar tanks plz

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    For a first timer, I would recommend a Chaco Golden Knee. They grow pretty honkin big, are voracious eaters, and are one of the most mellow species Ive encountered.
    I thought the Chaco Golden knee (G. pulchripes) was a slower grower? Perhaps I am under the wrong impression?
    Well, it seems all the fish in the rivers are dying. Could this be an act of cod? --Colin Mochrie

Never forget only dead fish swim with the stream. --Malcolm Muggeridge

Please visit my AC blog: Tank-side Thoughts

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Even though they are in the same basic family as the rose hairs which grow slower than almost anything, the Chacos grow like weeds. Every time they molt its like a size explosion. Giant White Knees are even more entertaining to watch grow. Then you get into the super sized goliaths and the growth rate is absolutely wicked.