· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   heres a cardinal to add to your school, well technically a neon, but... - lobsternoob   No Message - korith   Good luck building your bettas' new home :-) - SunSchein89   

Default My Halfmoon Best Loses HALF of His Rear Fin Repeatedly! :(

0 Not allowed!
    I have a gorgeous halfmoon betta that looked amazing and got prettier with time. I bought him at Petco and within a month or so most of his fins disintegrated. I thought it was fin rot so I got some Melafix and he started to heal and grow back his fin slowly.

The thing is, this keeps happening. His fins grow back in and right before they grow back in completely I notice over night that his tail fin is halfway gone. Disintegrated!

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? I just moved him to a ten gallon tank and the parameters are great. No ammonia and I am doing a 50% water change once a week. Seems he will never simply be his gorgeous self.

Should I do a mild constant dose of Melafix for the remainder of his life? He is happy otherwise, he eats, and swims around. But he looks like he got beat up. I have real plants in the tank, nothing sharp for him to get hurt on.

This is odd that this happened after a water change. My water measures "Very hard" when I do the strip test. But everything else looks pretty good.

Suggestions?
    Are Half-moons more susceptible to this type of thing?

Thanks,
    Adrien

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    I have never had a problem with that myself.

Maybe you should try using some other type of water (bottled if you have to) to see if that helps with the problem. You may need to use a water softener or something.

What food is he on? Maybe a change of food would help too?

I would think a constant dose of med would shorten his life dramatically.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    My betta insists on swimming close to the glass of the 15g. In doing so, he often passes by the filter intake. During the first few days after I got him, he nearly got stuck on the intake and it looked like it took some real effort for him to get off it.

Since then he keeps some distance, but sometimes you can see that the intake is about to pull his tail, and then the betta runs away. While he sleeps, I fear that he may get stuck there...

Perhaps this is a theory into what is happening to your betta?
    I groom ranchus. That is all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes bettas with really long fins will actually bite off their own tail fins. Its a fairly common thing actually, some people suggest giving them more space to swim will stop it. Personally I dont think it makes much difference with a fineater, I had a delta betta in a 10G very sparse furnishings that still ate half his tail as soon as it would heal. Some also say its a sign of boredom or stress...and some just dont seem to have a cause. I think some of it is because bettas naturally dont have such long elaborate flowing fins, they recognize them as being foreign.
    Last edited by MCHRKiller; 10-14-2010 at 03:37 AM.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   heres a cardinal to add to your school, well technically a neon, but... - lobsternoob   No Message - korith   Good luck building your bettas' new home :-) - SunSchein89   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, thanks for the responses. This is perplexing. I moved him from a 6 gallon tank to the 10 gallon tank about two or three weeks ago. But prior to the larger home he still experienced this.

I have never seen him eat his own fins. I will try and keep an eye on him. He is so gorgeous when his fins are intact . He is this fuchsia magenta color with a band of indigo and another band of grayish white on the edges of his fins. But now that is all gone since his fins are eaten up. Poor thing. :(
    Last edited by AdrienDeLaChicago; 10-14-2010 at 03:59 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I do not think that the intake is causing this problem. In the smaller tank I had those little AZOO palm filters that barely create any suction. They are not very powerful.

Now that they are in the 10 gallon tank I have Tom's Dive Clean I-85 Filters for ten gallon tanks which also do not cause a strong siphoning effect. There are many soft plants like Rotala Rotundifolia that are touching the filter but are not be siphoned into the intake. The intake is so large that it does not create any strong current nor does it suck the fish toward it when he swims close to it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe a ping pong ball in the tank, a mirror, something new to swim around in...cheap-like PVC pipe. Or one of those floating logs things.

Or some buddies to keep him occupied- a netful of shrimp may keep him busy hunting them if he goes for that.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish for your thoughtful posts!  Brain food! - Rue   Another Betta for your AC tank - Cliff   thanks for plant link - Lady Hobbs   good luck with your geckos! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    My blue veil tail trimmed his fins a good few times throughout his life. I read on a betta breeder's website (forget which one) that a lot of bettas will trim their fins to make it easier for them to swim and that it's especially more common with halfmoons because of the sheer size of their fin. It could be getting caught in something, but it's just as likely that the betta is doing it on purpose. I have no actual scientific evidence to back any of this up, but it makes enough sense to me. My red veil tail has never done this yet in few months I've had him, nor has my halfmoon double tail. Just depends on the betta, I guess.
    20 and 10 gallon community tanks, 5.5 gallon dwarf gourami tank
    Red tail boa, Corn snake, Albino Nelson's milksnake
    Fire belly toads (2), Red eye tree frogs (2), Antilles pinktoe tarantula
    Mourning gecko, Electric blue gecko, Crested gecko, Mali uromastyx

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the contributions. Well, as long as he is not sick then I can accept his own tail biting. Although I am not sure how it is possible due to the location of the fins that are torn away.

And he does have buddies in the tank. Forgot to mention this. He has ghost shrimp to keep him company. It is so funny to watch him eat the algae wafers with the shrimp. They remind me of farm animals that feed next to each other when fed a pile of slop. There are only about four in there right now. I will get some more when I get the chance.