· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axolotl

1. Default Axolotl

0 Not allowed!
    I know its not a fish
    Its a larval stage of some type of newt
    But
    i was just curious, what would be a good guide to keeping them in groups like
    how many per xx gallon/s
    Lots of snakes and lizards
    1 Golden Pearl Flowerhorn.
    1 18" Nano reef.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They grow to over a foot long if they can, so it'd be big.
    The best idea of numbers in a tank I've seen in the LFS's is 2 axy's of approximately 6 inches in a four foot tank.
    Currently: Spotted Blue-eyes, two species of Australian shrimp, Ornate Rainbowfish, Guppies, Corydoras, goldfish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My old Axoltyl book from 1981 says:
    "Tank should have a depth of at least 25cm. Length 100cm, width 50cm.
    6 axoltyls can be housed comfortably in such a tank"
    Currently: Spotted Blue-eyes, two species of Australian shrimp, Ornate Rainbowfish, Guppies, Corydoras, goldfish.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank size depends on how many you want. As with fish, bigger is always better. There can be problems with them in groups though because they can end up biting eachother and ripping gills, arms, and chunks of tail off (but these will all grow back). My three are in a 20 long for now. At up to a foot they can get quite large though. They naturally stay larval their whole life, so they aren't just a larval form of a newt, they just are larval. Very rarely one will metamorphosize, but it is still an axolotl. Are you thinking about getting some?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have one with my mother bought me he is about 20cm lonh, but i was hoping to build an outdoor pond for them under my window and i have a restricting of 60cm deep and 210cm long of digging space for a pond and about oh say 30cm - 40cm high i plan to make a cement pond for them, and since they rather like cold weather they should be fine outside in the shade where it doesnt get too hot and not too cold
    1 18" Nano reef.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    How hot will the water get out there? They really shouldn't be above 72F.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My book really advocates giving them swimming room.
    And amazingly yes, damaged bits of axylotl will grow back!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ummm im not entirely sure
    I mean i keep mu current one inside but where the pong would be
    no direct son hits it but theyre is light there if u know what i mean
    I can do a test to see what tempreture the water varies between then give u the results?
    1 18" Nano reef.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That would be best. What are the summer highs in your area?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    urmm im basing this NOT on water tempreture but regular air tempreture high 30's celsius
    1 18" Nano reef.