· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

Default Lighting for a 20g aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20 gallon high aquarium. It measures 24'Lx16'Hx12'W. Where can I get a hood for a resonable price that can hold enought fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulbs to grow high light plants? I'm really confused on this, and right now I have 1 15 watt bulb on the tank. I was considering this: http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm But I am really not sure.
    THanks guys!
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    2X55W is PERFECT! you want 5W/gallon, so in a 20g that equals 100W, and you would have 110W. perfect!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoa_pleco
    2X55W is PERFECT! you want 5W/gallon, so in a 20g that equals 100W, and you would have 110W. perfect!

You cant just say that every tank needs 5 watts per gallon. Lighting depends on what you plan to keep, the depth of the tank, and the quality of the light.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    true. if youre going heavily planted, you may need more, lightly as in 2-3 plants, 1 55W may be enough.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    I;m going with heavily planted. Would the one 1x55 be enough, or would I need 2x55? BTW, I am keeping the 15w fluorescent on if I get the 1x55 so I will have 70w total. Would that be enough?
    One more thing, is there any other hoods you know of that would have sufficient light that isn't too expensive?

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    70W would be okay for most plants. not fancy delicate ones though. If you want it deeply planted, you need the 2 55's

you can get hagens fancy aquaglow lights. my 15g came with the cheap aquaglo and the complete kit was 150$, but the fancy lighted tank (15g still) is 300$. it has 2 55W's i believe. i think they sell them separately, but probably a 150$ tag

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Ed. I have a couple of questions.

Are you planning on CO2?

What type of Plants do you want to keep?

Are you going to fertilize?

How fast do you want everything to grow?

How much light you need is going to depend on your answers to these questions.

heavily planted doesn't necessarily mean high light plants. You can have a heavily planted low light tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredulous_Ed
    I;m going with heavily planted. Would the one 1x55 be enough, or would I need 2x55? BTW, I am keeping the 15w fluorescent on if I get the 1x55 so I will have 70w total. Would that be enough?
    One more thing, is there any other hoods you know of that would have sufficient light that isn't too expensive?
    My guess is that you can get away with one 55 watt and the 15 watt is just icing on the cake as long as you do not plan on growing insanely high light plants. Going to 110 watt on a 20 gallon will require good CO2, but will give you good results if you can get your other parameters in check.

Other lighting options.

coral life 1 x 65 watt 61.99

this would be another option. It is 20 dollars more than the AHA but does not require you to build a hood or put it together.

there is also a 2x65 watt version that you can get for over 100.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoa_pleco
    If you want it deeply planted, you need the 2 55's
    No you do not. you can have a heavily planted tank with 1 watt per gallon. The amount of light you have limits more what type of plants you can grow, vs how much.

I am sure that I could create a heavily planted 20 gallon of java fern, mosses and anubis. Given enough time.

For reference Ed. here is my 30 gallon with two T5 21 watt bulbs for a total of 42 watts over 30 gallons.

you do not need insane light to get good results. you just have to pick the plants that will grow in your conditions.
    Last edited by hungryhound; 06-21-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhound
    Ed. I have a couple of questions.

Are you planning on CO2?

Yes. I am planning on a DIY mixture.

What type of Plants do you want to keep?

Not quite sure at the moment, but definetly cabombas, amazon swords, as well as some other stuff.

Are you going to fertilize?

Yes. I am currently using Hagens Iron enriches liquid fertilizer. I am planning on changing the substrate to Eco complete or AquaSoil. I'm leaning towards Ecp complete because it is cheaper, But I would really like aquasoil.

How fast do you want everything to grow?

Generally, fast. I'm kind of impatient, and it would be cool to see a constantly changing aquascape. But, I don't have much of a budget and won't start getting paid until Sep or Oct, so I would be content with an average growing rate.

How much light you need is going to depend on your answers to these questions.

heavily planted doesn't necessarily mean high light plants. You can have a heavily planted low light tank.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Tanks:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i see your point. i was referring to tall tanks that are so planted you cannot see through to the back and are major major planted