· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For appreciating your mom! - Rue   Thanks for your advice to Gemstone - Boertjie   You should have a fox to! - MCHRKiller   Accidental hijacking! - Wild Turkey   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   
    Autism - invadertoast   

Default Sudden betta death??

0 Not allowed!
    I'm totally at a loss here. I have a crowntail betta in a 2.5 gallon that's been living on my night stand since maybe last summer. He is my favorite, always curious and active and interested in whatever I'm doing. The tank has live plants, a Tom submersible filter, and a small Tetra heater. My levels are always fine. Today I cleaned his tank by doing changing 1/3 of his water. About 20 minutes ago he was happily swimming around as always. I just turned around and saw him floating straight up with his tail resting on a clump of java moss, I thought it was him just being weird like always, but he's clearly dead - stiff, with all his fins flared out. I don't get it! Levels are all still fine, and I cleaned my 4 gallon betta tank at the same time and he is fine! I KNOW I added dechlorinator to the bucket because I always do it when I start filling the bucket up, and as I was walking away from the sink I added a few more drops just in case. Could he have been electrocuted by the heater or something?? I'm completely stunned :(
    Lindsay

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    sorry for your loss.

I imagine there is a simple biological explanation, it is just that betta autopsies are likely VERY expensive. lol Could have been dying for a while and it wasn't something you could see.

Who knows? Organ failure, virus, some type of unseen infection heart attack. Plenty of age related or natural caused. It happens.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    It could have been stray electricity from the heater. Would make sense for the time frame. I'd be replacing the heater if you think that is what caused the death. Make sure you unplug it before putting your hand in there.

One other thought is the water company may have changed something with the water (different additive, etc). Keep an eye on the other fish in the other tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    obviously you know what you're doing and your guess is as good as ours, but it was probably something isolated like a contaminated bucket or tubing or like you said, a slight shock from the heater. sorry for your loss.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know how a heater could zap a fish and still be functioning. Was it a non-submersible that was in too low or what? What made you think the heater?

If it had a short filled with water wouldn't it have water in the bottom of the glass and most likely have popped your electrical breaker by now?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your upcoming aquarium! - Rue   For your daughter's tank! - Rue   for making me laugh thank for the info - Cliff   Thanks for the CO2 info, have one on me !!! - Cliff   sorry about your betta, he was beautiful - Jeddi   

0 Not allowed!
    it wasn't the heater bud.

Its not voltage that kills, its current.

Electricity takes the route of least resistance back to its point of origin, unless the fish was out of the water and touching something grounded the surrent would not have flowed through his body, even if you had put a live wire straight in the tank (DO NOT DO THIS AS IT IS DANGEROUS TO YOU) the fish would have not been injured.

Betta's have a habit of dying suddenly, as we found out this week :(

He prob had an illness which had no symptoms visiable to us.

Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So sorry for your loss... it is terrible when one of our little guys passes. Could it be some sort of soap residue in the container that you aged/treated the water in? Otherwise, maybe it was something that was coming on that didn't have any visible symptoms. :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   I`m glad your pleco has new BIG home! - Rue   A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228   big, greasy burger for you - Lady Hobbs   and cake  LOL - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gisela   

0 Not allowed!
    Really sorry for your loss. Lost mine in June also after only 7 month. Know the feeling.