· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cycle complete in 3.5 days!

0 Not allowed!
    As many of you know, I often recommend the use of Seachem's Stability when cycling (either with or without fish) a new tank. I've used this on several tanks over the last few years and have had nothing but success with it.

I've done fishless cycles with it and it usually takes about 7-9 days to complete, cycles with fish usually takes about 6-7 days with no loss of fish.

I just set up another 10g on the weekend and just wanted to share the experience with you.

Saturday night, I set the tank up with new gravel, new filter and a couple of decorations (my first tank with a little castle). I added 1 capfull of Stability and and added a small bag of ceramic rings from the AC110 filter on my 29g for an added boost of bacteria. Sunday I added 1/2 a capfull of Stability into the water. Monday, another 1/2 a capfull. Tuesday morning, the Nitrites and Ammonia were off the charts. Tuesday night, they're at 0! I just added another 1/2 a capfull of Stability and retest tomorrow just to make sure.

Anyway, as you can see, Seachem's Stability is a great product and this is exactly why I speak so highly of it. If anyone has a small tank sitting around, you should try it out just for the heck of it ...

On a side note, I'm open for suggestions on what to stock in my 10g. Black gravel, two ceramic ruins of a clock tower and an alter with a couple of small, fake plants. I'm thinking something colourful, fancy guppies perhaps?
    A Grumpy German Is A Saurkraut!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just a quick question, where can I get those ceramic rings and where do I place them in my filter?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zackish
    just a quick question, where can I get those ceramic rings and where do I place them in my filter?
    You should be able to get them at any petstore, Fluval and Aqua Clear make them (and I'm sure there are others as well). I don't really think that it's too critical where you put them, but most people put them as the last stage on their filters (depending on the type). For example, I have an AC110 HOB which has the (from bottom to top) sponge, carbon and ceramic rings.

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    place them anywhere. all my filters have those and/or bio balls. they do major bio filtration

0 Not allowed!
    Good information. Thanks for the heads-up. I may try this my next cycle.

Others think it works well too.
    http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_stability.php
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-20-2007 at 05:30 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    aliz340, was this a fishy or ammonia cycle?
    If ammonia, how much did you add?

Awards Showcase

thanks for good advice - hobbs ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09 We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09 
    Cheers Buddy! I appreciate it! - slingham64 for coming to Hobbs aid again - Lady Hobbs for answering 300 stupid ?? without blinking - Lady Hobbs thanks for the plant help. A clovers the closest gift to a plant. lol - cocoa_pleco Agree to Disagree....kinda - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for the help! - holbritter all you need now is some chips and salsa then you will be set. - sergo R.I.P. Canadian - gm72 I can't eat anymore. - Drumachine09 For your generosity - aliz340 
    my clado will be swimming in pop! thanks again! - xoolooxunny Have a martini on me.  It's the least I could do to say thanks for all the help you've given me. - hungryhound for kindness amd generosity - Algenco Thanks for the help all the time! - zackish Love Your Posts--Your Very Knowledgeable! :) - MeganL3985 

0 Not allowed!
    Not really a valid demonstration of Stability imo. You used ceramic rings from an established tank, and that holds a tremendous amount of bacteria (of both types) already, so it doesn't take long for them to multiply. I'm willing to bet that if you started with fresh everything, you would notice little to no difference, as I doubt Stability is any different from Cycle.
    Foshizzle.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another quick test today and the results were the same as yesterday, the tank is all cycled.

Quote Originally Posted by sunjwd
    aliz340, was this a fishy or ammonia cycle?
    If ammonia, how much did you add?
    This was a fishless cycle and I didn't add any ammonnia. All I used was the Stability and as a bit of a cheat (to speed things up) I just added some ceramic rings from my one filter into the new filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrona
    Not really a valid demonstration of Stability imo. You used ceramic rings from an established tank, and that holds a tremendous amount of bacteria (of both types) already, so it doesn't take long for them to multiply. I'm willing to bet that if you started with fresh everything, you would notice little to no difference, as I doubt Stability is any different from Cycle.
    Oh ye of little faith . As I stated, I did add the ceramic rings as a bacteria boost just to see how fast I could get it going. However, having used Stability before with fish and fishless cycles, the process does take longer but it works like a charm (see my post above).

I've never used cycle, so I can't compare it. How ever, I do have an friend in Vancouver who sets up and maintains aquariums for businesses and households and he uses Stability exclusivly (thats how I found out about it), he says it's just as good as Bio Spira, if not better (his words, not mine).

Still no suggestions on what to stock in the tank?
    Last edited by aliz340; 06-21-2007 at 05:49 AM.

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    i have a product thats called special blend. it has live bacteria, and cycles the tank really fast. the only bad thing is it smells like 200 people eating beans, laxatives, and brussel sprouts and sticking them in a elevator. not a pretty smell. when i use it, the room smells like a portapoty

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoa_pleco
    i have a product thats called special blend. it has live bacteria, and cycles the tank really fast. the only bad thing is it smells like 200 people eating beans, laxatives, and brussel sprouts and sticking them in a elevator. not a pretty smell. when i use it, the room smells like a portapoty
    Good excuse to hit your local East Indian restaraunt and order a nice big curry before hand ....

mmmmh, curry! (drool)