· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default black upside down catfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys, I made my decision today for my 125 gallon, just need some identification help. I was at Walmart and usually don't buy fish there. But they give up the fish, because renovation. That's when I saw this two black 2.5 and 3 inches long catfishes, which were in the tank with some regular Pictus catfish. I asked what they were and was told some kind of upside down catfish. That is true, even they look a lot like Pictus with their long whiskers, they swim upside down. They are now in my Quaranine tank, until I will put them in my 125 gallon. Does anyone know a black upside down catfish. I also wonder how big they will get.

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 in my 220. One is about 8", the other larger, perhaps 10". Nocturnal usually. Provide hiding spaces. They eat any food I put in there but seem to prefer Hikari sinking wafers.

Edit: I edited because I underestimated their size. Just took a peek and these measurements are pretty accurate.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for the information. Do you know their exact name? I can't find them in my books, only the normal upside down catfish. I just wonder how they made it to Walmart. Never even saw them in my LFS, which delivers my 125 Gallon tank tonight. Excited!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh Boy, found them in the Internet. They are Mystus leucophasis, Family: Bagridae, Genus: Mystus, Species: leucophasis, also known as Giant Black Upside Down Asian Catfish (Burma). They get 5 - 7 inches long. They are rare and go for $50 at fishauctions. And I got them for under five bucks!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How many did you get? Breed them and make millions
    98L Community
    - African Butterfly Fish
    - Black Skirt Tetra x3
    - Kuhli Loach x~
    - Bolivian Ram x2
    - Gold Chinese Algae Eater

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gisela
    Oh Boy, found them in the Internet. They are Mystus leucophasis, Family: Bagridae, Genus: Mystus, Species: leucophasis, also known as Giant Black Upside Down Asian Catfish (Burma). They get 5 - 7 inches long. They are rare and go for $50 at fishauctions. And I got them for under five bucks!!
    Well whatever the proper name of the fish I can promise you they get more than 5-7 inches long, mine are much larger than that.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got two. How big is yours and how old? I put them in a 125 gallon tank with one common pleco (now 12 inch.) and 6 clownloaches (3.5 -5 inch - one year old).

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    They aren't really rare (nothing Wal-Mart sells is, they come from Asian fish farms) and are available at Wal-Mart fairly often. However, they are highly conspecific-aggressive. Think of them the same as African cichlids like Tropheus or demasoni. If you keep a large group of 10 or more the aggression gets spread around enough that none are killed. Keeping 2 (or any number less than 8) in the same tank will eventually end up as one, and the rest will have killed each other off. A large tank full of them makes quite a display, and they will breed in that sort of setup.
    They are very hardy fish, and mix well with large cichlids because they're tough enough to defend their own territory and bite back when pushed.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will they be o.k. with my large common pleco and my 6 clowns? I also wanted to add larger Rainbowfish and Congo Tetras. Or what do you recommend as schooling fish with them in the 125 Gallon.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    One of them will be ok, the other isn't likely to survive if left in the same tank. I don't think they'll bother schooling fish, they're mainly concerned about territory and food.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.