· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Adopting two kitties!

0 Not allowed!
    I've been pretty MIA on the forum. This semester has found me extremely busy.

Last Friday a friend told me that the local SPCA has over 600 adult cats that need to be adopted out (they recently went no-kill). I visited their website only to find that they had actually waived the adoption fee for the month of September (usually $90.00)! I really felt compelled to adopt, since I prefer older felines, and there's not much demand for them. However, my lease says no more than two cats. I called the property manager and asked her if I could adopt a third. She agree, stating that she had four cats and was going to be moving into my building in October, so she'd be a hypocrite for saying no!

On Saturday I spoke to a woman who runs a local no-kill, non-profit cat rescue in my area. She comes to PetSmart on Saturdays with a few of her adoptable kitties. I had become quite friendly with her, and had expressed to her my want to adopt another cat, but because of the lease I was hesitant.

She revealed to me that her good friend was in end-of-life care, and had seven cats in her house. Two were going to live with the woman's daughter, one had already been re-homed, and two were practically feral. The other two, she thought, would make wonderful additions to my household.

So longer-story short, I visited the kitties Monday intending to adopt one. I couldn't choose. It didn't help that she enticed me by saying she would pay half of ALL of these cat's vet bills for the rest of their lives.

And it was obvious these cats were buddies. I couldn't split them up! It'd be much easier for them to adjust to a new house with a buddy.

So my duo will be a big happy group soon!

The cats are both males, and about 8 years old. The small brown tabby is named Rex, he can't be more than 8 pounds. He was originally trapped by this woman as part of a feral cat TNR program, but after he was fixed, she decided to keep him and tame him. Because he was in the TNR program, his ear is "tipped", but they did a bad job of it, so he's missing a big chunk of his ear. I think it's endearing!

The other boy is an enormous, overweight orange and white Maine coon mix named Jeremiah. He looks like a basketball. When his mom went into hospice, the cats were being taken care of by someone who only came once a day, so each kitty would get their food in their own bowl, but what they didn't eat at first was Jeremiah's for the taking!

But I think this clan will be fun. The kitties will go on double dates, the two big fluffy ones and the two small short hairs!

No pictures yet, it might be a while. They will be getting dropped off Monday afternoon and I will give them a day or two to settle down before coming in and handling them. Then they'll hang out in my spare bedroom for at least a week longer before meeting my resident felines.

Exciting stuff, no?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, I was deliriously tired when I wrote this, I'm surprised it makes as much sense as it does...

FYI, we will have Jeremiah drop those pounds. He'd probably be healthy at 13 pounds, as he is a big cat to begin with. I hope it's not too hard to have a cat lose weight!

I'm teaching my girls, who were "pickers" (had food out all day for them) to eat 1/4 cup twice a day. Socks is handling it pretty well, though she's not eating everything. Meeko is pretty freaked out by the whole thing since we're separating them for the feeding and didn't eat anything yesterday (however it was only the first day of trying this) and didn't eat this morning either.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to calm down and eat, or will she learn once she realizes how hungry she is?

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    First Congrats and Well done on taking in two cats in need.

Its been my personal experience that orange kitties tend to have some of the BEST personalities.

I wouldn't worry too much about your cat eating at this point. She will likely eat when she's hungry and just needs time to adapt.

Maine Coons are one of the largest domestic cat breed so you are right that he will still be "big" but basketball does indeed sound like an issue.

Good Luck!

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new guys! Looking forward to pics!

I suggest you feed the kitties in separate groups so the one can lose weight. Look him in the bathroom for 15 minutes or so and feed him there.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on the new friends.

Im jealous, i want a feline friend but my wife doesn't like cats and we have friends who are allergic, i keep telling her we should get new friends but she wont budge
    glad to hear they were lucky enough to be rescued by you
    16 tanks and counting

The more i look at your tank the more i want your tank in my tank!
    Chris

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I salute you for taking this two older cats in your home. I worked with rescues before and it is always harder to adopt them out, because everybody wants kittens.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Trillianne: I have heard that orange kitties are great, and I've always wanted one! Plus he's FLUFFY. I really, really like fluffy cats.

Rue: I was planning on putting Jeremiah in the spare room. Can't use the bathroom because I give about 2 hours before we need to leave in the morning and we're running in and out of it all the time. I might put Socks in the master bedroom because I can see her turning into a piggy and getting the other's food.

Gisela: Thanks As I said, I much prefer adult cats. I find kittens too much work and too high strung. Fun for an hour or so, but not a year! Plus, it is true, demand for adult cats is rather low, so I feel pretty good about this decision : )

I adopted Meeko when she was 1.5 back in 2007. This November she'll be 5!!! Where did the time go!
    I adopted Socks 2 years ago in November, she was 8.5 then. In January she'll be 11. It's all so bizarre!

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Pictures!!!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got two pictures on my camera phone when we went to visit them but obviously they're not high quality. They're being dropped off Monday, and I will wait probably until Wednesday to start going in and hanging out with them :)

Little Rexy. Check out his butchered ear :(

Big ol' Jeremiah. Sam has been referring to him as "Jeremiah Johnson the mountain cat". I'll probably end up calling him Jerry.

That's Chris (the woman who introduced me to the cats) holding him. We tried to take a picture of him but he just kept running up to us and head-butting our hands, hehe

0 Not allowed!
    Very Very nice cats you have there.
    excellent adoption well done
    16 tanks and counting

The more i look at your tank the more i want your tank in my tank!
    Chris