· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I need help right now

0 Not allowed!
    ok, so the pet store i bought the 180 gallon from last week told me(i am a very frequent customer) that they had gotten some fish by mistake and they recieved two reticulated rays. they kept one for their 300 display tank, and they said they would sell me the other for $20. i have researched rays and know they arent good for a new tank, so they aggreed to hold it for a month or so until I can get mmy 180 set up and cycled. they are about 5-6 inches across, and seem to eat well. will the 180 be enough? i have been considering rays for a while, but was told my tank would be too small, but the store said that they would give it to someone else if i wasn't interested, and seeing as im about the only knowledgable fishkeeper who shops there, i can't bear the idea of some noob with a 30 gallon tank buying him. i am planning on building a 400 gallon tank sometime within a year, so will my 180 be enough for now? i know the requirements, and i was going to use sand substrate anyway, and the only bit of structure i have is a sort of driftwood stump that is sort of up on stilts, so that there is no part of the actual stump on the ground except about five stilt like structures. this is stable, i have had it in a tank before, and if i put a piece of slate under it and cover that with sand, then would that work? this ray is too good to be true. help me here!

75 gallon freshwater, 1 pleco, 1 pumkinseed hybrid sunfish, 1 crayfish, 1 sengal bichir,1 convict cichlid.
    45 gallon-ball python-20 gallon-honduran milk snake. 35 gallon-black rat snake
    10 gallon-black rat snake
    90 gallon reef tank
    10 gallon, 2 darters, 2 cory cats
    come over and count all the scales at my house some time!

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    sorry I didn't see this thread earlier... $20 for any ray is a steal.

it would be fine for some time in a 180, but would need bigger for life.

I would have bought it if it's eating at the LFS. they are huge producers of waste, so great filtration is key.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Reticulated rays are a poor choice for a first ray to have IMO. This is just about equal to a first time fish keeper getting Discus. A 180 (2x2x6) would suffice and $20 is a very fair price.

They are very sensitive to water quality and most are incredibly finicky feeders. The only thing I was ever able to get mine to eat was live black worms (although I have heard of people getting theirs to eat blood worms and shrimp). They also do not do well with most tank mates as they can not effectively compete for food.

Here's what I would do. When it comes time to pick this fish up, look very closely at the fish's pelvic region. If you can see it pelvice/ribs protruding from its body (just above the tail base) the fish is starving and probably will not make it. Either way...ask them to feed it for you. If the fish refuses to eat...it will probably starve and not make it. If it does feed in a convincing manner...Maybe give it a shot? At the end of the day it's your call, but this is my first hand knowledge of them.

Hope this helps and I don't mean to discourage you from venturing into the awesome world of rays. I would just hate to see a thread next month "My Ray Won't Eat!".

Good luck!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey yah $20 for a stingray is an amazing price i got mine for 55. I have had my sting ray in a 60 gallon tank for 2 years everything is doing pretty good. i am sure your 180 gallon tank is good for that stingray.

0 Not allowed!
    phongnguyen123, this thread is over two years old. The op has not been around in nearly that long. Please check the dates on the threads you post in and stick to more current ones.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1