· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Unplanned For Goldfish Crisis

0 Not allowed!
    My neighbors got last minute orders and pretty much had to move within a couple of weeks. They decided to get "rid of" the fish instead of packing them up and moving the tanks. They offered me a couple small tanks at rediculously low prices so I grabbed them.. HOWEVER.. I got an extra present in one of the tanks.
    Behold the 4 inch Ranchu that was living in a 2.5 gallon hex. No thats not a misprint. A 2.5 gallon heated hex. Cant leave that part out.
    Im not a goldfish keeper at all, but shes healthy and eats like a Great Dane.
    There was no way that I was going to leave her in that tiny tank, so my only option was my recently planted 40g (thank you Petco sale). Her tank was so filthy that honestly I have no idea of how this fish even survived. I moved her into my larger tank which is also home to some Guppies and after two weeks she is doing quite well. She seems to think shes a guppy and tries to swim around with the girls, but of course she corners like a semi.
    I have slightly lowered the temp I had the tank set at, but Im worried that its still going to be too warm for her in the long run ( its at 76) Her previous owners said that shes over a year old and shes been in a heated tank since day one. The guppies are doing fine with the temp and so are the fry that seem to mysteriously appear every time I blink.
    I plan on a big honkin tank some time in the next year or so, but should I hurry those plans along to get the Ranchu in a "proper" tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    A 40 gallon tank is enough for a single fancy goldfish.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    She/he is still doing quite well and has totally adopted the Cories... they follow eachother around the bottom of the tank and do clean up work. I will happily admit that Im a sucker for a charity case, so I just want what is best for the fish.. rather deserving after spending a year in a tank almost too small to turn around in and definately too small to do any real swimming in.
    The local fish store I do most of my plant and fish buying thinks its funny that I have the "dreaded goldfish", but they offered me a ton of plants that she would enjoy eating for free so hopefully she will stop taste testing the rest of the plants in the tank fairly soon.