· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 9 of 79 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    - and probably for the next tank too.
    Luuuucccyyy.... you got some 'splainin' to do....
    Well, it seems all the fish in the rivers are dying. Could this be an act of cod? --Colin Mochrie

Never forget only dead fish swim with the stream. --Malcolm Muggeridge

Please visit my AC blog: Tank-side Thoughts

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by domjd05
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what's happening, but I have dealt with what I believe to be a similar problem with my DIY wetdry on my 125g. The pump was too powerful for the overflow and caused the sump to empty before the overflow could siphon water back in fast enough. I downsized from a 1200gph pump to a 750 and the 750 was perfect, and in fact was also too powerful but I was able to make it work.
    Well, given that my "sump" is in this case built into the tank, I don't have some of the problems you could get with a real sump. The faster the pump empties the filter box, the more water will be in the main tank, and the greater the flow through the overflow will be, making the problem self-correcting. The only time that wouldn't be the case would be if the water level in the tank was low enough that even with the filter box significantly drained, the flow through the overflow was still low because the water level at the overflow wasn't very high. It's an issue of overall water loss, not pump flow rate.

So why am I losing water? I can think of three possibilities:
    1. Trapped air coming free. When I filled the tank, all the surfaces were covered in bubbles. I'm sure there's even more I can't see trapped in the bioballs. Each bubble is tiny but if a few thousand of them have floated free, the overall effect could drop the water level a bit.
    2. Wood absorbing water. Right now the driftwood is floating. The driftwood is supposed to sink, which means it has to increase in density, which means it needs to suck up water. This would drop the water level, but I don't know by how much. If you're up on your physics you'll point out that the driftwood should be floating high in the water since it's so light, and as it gets heavier it should float lower and the overall water level shouldn't change, but it is in fact stuck and held down under the lid, so it's displacing more water than it should for its buoyancy.
    3. Evaporation. I expected that since the tank is mostly sealed, evaporation should be minimal. Perhaps I'm underestimating the amount of evaporation that occurs at the overflow. I'm going to be ordering a sheet of acrylic to cover the two main access holes, but I had planned to leave the area over the overflow open. Maybe I need to cover that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aminax
    Luuuucccyyy.... you got some 'splainin' to do....
    Fortunately I did end up using up all the biomedia, so if we do add a new tank I'll have to start from scratch again.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    My vote would be evaporation.

In my 90 gallon SW with a 55 gallon sump (both open tops), I loose about 1 gallon each day. Either my wife or I will add 1/2 gallon in the morning and 1/2 gallon at supper time. We're we live, the air can be very dry in the winter time making it even worse.

Maybe you could put up a cheap pc of plexy-glass to cover the entire top to help.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    looks like it takes about three days for the water level in the filter to drop low enough to concern me... That's not too bad. The funny thing is, it took less than a gallon of water to raise the water level back up to comfortable. So, if we're ever going on a vacation longer than that, I could just leave a gallon jug of water for the catsitter to poor into the tank on a certain day.

I may begin my search for rocks soon. Finding a local store with landscaping supplies in December may not be the easiest job.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Called or visited darn near every garden or home improvement center in the area. None of them are set up to sell outdoor landscaping type stuff at this time of year. There is one place the next town over called "the Rock Shoppe" that says they're closed now but they reopen on January 15th, so that sounds good. Not sure what they do if all their stone is under a foot of snow by then.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Put in an order for two viaaqua 100W titanium heaters (and some more media bags). Once they arrive I'll be able to test them out to see how they work. My target setpoint is only 75F, and I'm hoping that one single heater won't be strong enough to cook the tank if it goes haywire. So, I'll be plugging one in at first, turning it up high, and seeing how warm the tank actually gets after a few days.

Also, the driftwood's been soaking for 7 days now, and it's still floating. I do think it's less buoyant... I've got half a mind to rig up some sort of weight system to measure exactly how much weight it would take to sink it at this point. I'm going to be annoyed if my "guaranteed to sink" driftwood doesn't sink sooner or later.

0 Not allowed!
    Great choice on the heaters. I have two in my SW set-up and I love them.

Too bad about the rocks tho.

My wife works at Home Depot. The one she works at will stock different sizes of rocks (pre-packed) and sometimes they will have some landscaping material left over sitting in there out-door area over the winter. Might be worth asking about if you find yourself at a Home Depot any time soon and you don't want to wait. You might get lucky.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I checked out Home Depot and Lowes (they're right next to each other, which I never understood). I got access to their landscaping areas, but they were pretty emptied out.

One of the garden centers in town had their landscaping stuff behind a fenced in region. They had EXACTLY what I wanted, a whole pallet of it chicken wired together with an $80 price tag. I need maybe a quarter of that, but I didn't feel like asking if they could break something out of storage and split a pallet up for me. Maybe later, if I haven't found anything by then, but I have a good feeling about hitting up the rock store in a few weeks.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I ordered the supplies I need for my DIY moonlights. 10$ worth of LEDs and resistors should be all I need to pay for, with the rest of the supplies and equipment either being things I have lying around or things I can liberate from work.

A lot of what I've got from the tank has not cost quite as much as I budgeted, plus I got some of what I needed for Christmas. As a result, I'm now thinking I will be able to set up the tank in February so long as I don't encounter any major setbacks. Hooray!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This journal has been an amazing read. Loving the pictures, this tank is going to be incredible when you've finished! Cannot wait to see what you can do with it!

Page 9 of 79 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast