· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    I haven't seen any new platy fry in quite some time, but this big female looks to be just about due. I don't have room for more platies, so I'll have to cull any that may happen to survive.
    Why cull them? Why not give them to a nearby LFS or sell them on craigslist?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    well technically culling just means "removing" or "separating". That covers everything from euthanasia to giving them away.

Since the platy is a very common fish that reproduces easily, I don't think I'll have a lot of luck offloading them. It's something I'll deal with when I get to it, anyhow. I have 7 more cory fry than I want currently in the cry tank, and those I'm definitely going to try to rehome.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a platy randomly die recently too. No idea what happened, no other fish or shrimp showed any signs of illness or stress. I was also very puzzled
    My 14 Gallon Reef
    Fish are Friends, not Food

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    I tried taking some pictures tonight but they didn't turn out well at all. That tends to happen when the front glass needs scraping. I haven't done it for a couple weeks, because I didn't want to remove anything that the otos might potentially eat. They seem to be finding food just fine, though.

You can see a bit of a belly bulge on this oto, which is good. The java fern leaf is dying but sending out babies at the same time.

black skirt tetra, willing to be photographed as always. The big female is getting fat again, and I haven't seen any signs to suggest that any eggs or fry survived the first presumed spawning.

One of the corys of the first successful spawn is growing up with a very tall arched back. I'm not sure if it's a deformity, or something it'll grow out of, or what.

And here's how the second spawn looks these days.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Nice shots.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

6. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!

Brhino, I just read your thread through. You have really setup a gorgeous tank. I just lost my 4 year-old goldies to ich, and was thoroughly discouraged, but your work has inspired me to start over. Slowly.

I admire you for your patience and care. I could use more of the latter, and certainly more of the former. If you've proved anything with this tank, it's that slow and steady makes for a kick-butt tank; it's beautiful.

Congratulations on your cory spawns - the fry are too cute. Perhaps raising them and selling them would increase your fishy budget?

How are the shrimp holding out? I've always wanted them, but have been too chicken to have any. Perhaps now that my goldies aren't around to eat them, I could try a stocking similar to yours with smaller, less shrimp-hungry fish.

How do you feel about the blue background? Still dislike it?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiopea
    Congratulations on your cory spawns - the fry are too cute. Perhaps raising them and selling them would increase your fishy budget?
    Maybe. It's not something I've really been looking forward to getting into... I don't really like the art of buying and selling things in general. I do plan to see what my LFS will offer (if anything) for most of the current spawn, once they're big enough to sell.

How are the shrimp holding out?
    Well enough. I see one get murdered by the tetras now and then, but the population seems pretty stable in spite of that.

How do you feel about the blue background? Still dislike it?
    Nah I don't mind it now. It works well enough once the tank is full of plants and hardscape.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

Tragedy in the tank... platy teenage pregnancy rates continue to climb. When will these girls learn that they have more options in life than swimming around in circles and eating their own young? No, wait, that's pretty much it.

But let's not forget that it takes two to tango. We should not hold the boys blameless either. When pressed for comment, this young male gave only a silent stare... possibly because he doesn't have vocal cords, or eyelids.

Here's a slightly better shot of the humpback cory I mentioned last week.

And here's one of the "normal" ones from the same spawn.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

Good thing I got that zucchini to hold up the rock for the oto to eat...

I should take more medium-range shots like this. You can't really see the fish very well in a FTS, and the close range shots never catch more than one or two fish at a time.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC_0545.jpg
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...DSC_0552-1.jpg
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC_0588.jpg
    Good thing I got that zucchini to hold up the rock for the oto to eat...
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...DSC_0587-2.jpg
    I should take more medium-range shots like this. You can't really see the fish very well in a FTS, and the close range shots never catch more than one or two fish at a time.
    Nice comment about the oto. Very funny. Love your journal. I wish that mine would be better. Maybe if I actually put some pictures up more than just 1x per year.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast