· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    STUFF THAT WAS IN THE BOXES, PART IV, THE LAST PART, I SWEAR. I SHOULD GIVE OUT GIFTS TO ANYONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY READ ALL OF THIS

• Special water parameter test containers - these are actually pretty neat. It's a test tube with a built in color chart. Not that I have the corresponding kit. Trash.

They don't make 'em like they used to... did I mention the Guppy Fare?
    • Green plastic cavework - more of the decoration stuff I mentioned in a previous part. I understand what it is now that I found the rest of it - artificial suction-cup mounted caves. Trash.

I still don't know why it's "honey look what the cat just barfed up" green though.
    • A baggie with like four different copper testing/treating products - Copper's bad, m'kay? Trash.
    • Castle-themed decorations - I'm going for a natural looking aquarium so this stuff is out, but frankly some of it is just too cool looking to throw away.

Do YOUR aquarium decorations feature angelic figures carved in highly detailed imitation stonework? Didn't think so.
    • Fake plants - really terrible looking. I mean, I've got some cheap plastic plants in my goldfish tank, but these are just baaaad. Trash.
    • Roll of white laminated paper - I don't know. Backing for the tank with the opaque back?
    • Filter floss - Hey, something useful. Temporarily raised my hopes that I'd find a complete working filter system in the bottom of the box.
    • A screened wooden frame - the size of one of the openings in the acrylic tank's top. Stops jumpers, I guess. Pretty ugly, and there's only one for two openings, but... I'll keep for now.
    • Nonfunctional plastic thermometer - Trash.
    • Variety of scrubbing brushes - Including a steel one. Well, the tank could use some cleaning. Steel brushes are good for acrylic, right? Trash.
    • 1/2" Tubing - Couple short lengths. Could be useful, keep.
    • Pile of stuff that looks vaguely filtration related - Well, I haven't found anything else, so I guess this is it. I might be able to salvage some of the parts into something useful, maybe...

...but probably not.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    So, what did I get out of 5 boxes of stuff? Not much. A couple heaters I don't trust in the presence of actual fish, some miscellaneous plumbing bits, and a few other things. The prize is probably the old python, assuming it still works, and even then I already have a water changer so this is just a spare. Still, 100$ for everything, can't complain.

Next part of the project: planning for and installing modern lighting. May start planning for and installing modern filtration as well, but I figure I'll keep the tank empty and dry while I'm doing electrical work. Stay tuned!
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Loving your journal already, and your sense of humor too! Staying tuned.

0 Not allowed!
    I feel guilty saying this, but I love that castle
    -Aude

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aude
    I feel guilty saying this, but I love that castle
    You aren't alone, if I was going to do an overgrown ruin's theme in a tank that would be cool.

Love this journal, while you didn't get a "lot" out of the box of junk its all an adventure. Looking forward to your finished product!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Got to start actual work on the tank today. Accomplished some things, discovered some things... you know what? Those bullet lists on the previous posts were working well, let's do that again.

• Removed old lights. Light bases were bonded directly to the canopy but those ripped out easy enough with some needlenose plier action.
    • Decided I'd fill the tank to make sure it holds water. Might as well use the python for this, right? Hmmm... not so much. It doesn't work. It's leaky and for some reason water does not flow through it. Took it apart, found some gravel and plumbing bits stuck inside of it, but even with those cleared out it still doesn't work. Not sure why not, exactly. May fiddle with it more later.
    • Discovered that the overflow box has some leaks. The seam between the right side of the box (the output chamber) and the back of the tank is completely unattached, and there also seems to be a small leak somewhere between the second and third chamber and between the first chamber and the main part of the tank. None of these leaks should prevent the overflow box from functioning as a filter, but they do lend credence to the idea of removing the whole thing. Still leaning towards using it as a filter, I guess. It's 21" long by 6" wide... that's 11 gallons of space right there.
    • Discovered that the acrylic is bowed outwards in front and in the sides. I should probably make a thread about that. In fact, I just did.
    • Did some cleaning of the underside of the canopy, which was all mucked up with mold and whatever else the inside of a canopy tends to accumulate. Just used warm water and a rag, but I think pretty much everything is coming off.

I have a great fear that the tank will leak or something will break and I'll end up finding out that I can't actually use the tank. I remind myself though that whatever happens to the tank, the stand alone was a reasonably good deal, so it wouldn't be a total loss to have to get a new tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is alot of fun to follow along with! Keep us updated and congratulations with the purchase!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    got my lighting plan figured out. After some more research I determined that the T8 shop lights I was planning on installing for cheap weren't going to really cut it, partially due to their lack of reflectors (doubly bad in a black canopy). I looked into DIY reflectors or T5 shop lights, but the costs kept rising and eventually it just became cheaper to buy some aquarium fixtures. So, I've got 2 dual-T5NO coralife fixtures on order. They're the 48" version of the same fixture I have on my 29g, so they should work out well. Heat buildup could be a problem, so I'll have to monitor that and provide some ventilation if needed.

Most of the online aquarium retailers want about 60$ for the fixture. I found it on amazon for 50$. My LFS has the same fixture for 80$. I would love to support my LFS, but they mark up all their equipment so much that I really can't afford to.

Lightbulb It might be too late for this idea, But;

0 Not allowed!
    Have you considered using reflective Mylar? IE: Getting a reflector from somewhere like AHsupply [Superior shape vs. standard reflectors or so I've heard.] and coating it w mylar.

I only ask because its reflectivity is higher than the standard white paint.

It's rumored that it's not too sturdy for long term moist conditions though so it's not practical if you're not using a glass top.

Not sure if it works with your budget & aims, Just an idea.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, I had considered it. The issue is that a good reflector has two qualities: reflectivity and a good shape. So, a mylar coating would get me partway there, but then I'd also need to form it into a proper curved or angled shape. It started looking like more and more work and more and more materials to buy, hence the reason I just decided to go with off-the-shelf aquarium fixtures.