· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 21 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    It still has a line and a neutral, but it doesn't have an actual ground. The neutral is connected to ground at the breaker panel, so it's not like it's horribly dangerous or anything, but it's slightly less safe... enough so that I'd rather waste some money to avoid using an adapter. Just a matter of personal preference I guess.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Okay... that makes sense.
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta sorority
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank has been running for two days now. I have lots of little thoughts, issues, comments, whatever.

Tested the water parameters, 0/0/5. Good deal.

Two areas of concern:

First, the shrimp/filter issue. Raising the sponges like I did yesterday choked the flow rate too much. I have re-lowered them, and installed some plastic mesh in front of the overflow, like so:

This partially restricts the flow into the overflow, but less so.

The issue with restricted flow into the overflow is that it means the water level in the tank has to be higher before enough water is flowing into the filter box to match the output of the pump pushing it back out. I've mentioned this several times previously in this thread. The problem is that the water level in the tank is high enough at this point that the underside of the lid is underwater in many places. See:

You can see that the access hole in the center is above water, as is the area around it, but much of the rest of the lid is in the water. I am concerned that this reduces the amount of oxygen that's going to be getting into the water. It's not an issue now given how lightly stocked the tank is, but it could be later. Also, when the water level is high enough it actually flows over the top of the overflow box a little tiny bit (not through the "teeth"), which bypasses the filter media. I watched some floating pellet crumbs fall into the filter that way before the fish could eat them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The other concern I have, as previously mentioned, is the java ferns. Here's what they look like now. looks like the centers of leaves are healthy but the outsides are not. Hopefully the healthiness will spread outward, rather than the unhealthiness spreading inward.

I seem to have a tiny gap in the edge between the filter box and the tank that I siliconed, because it looks like a shrimp got stuck in there and died. Not as concerned about that, I figure if there continues to be flow there eventually some debris will flow in and plug it.

The fish themselves seem to be doing well.

I have 6 new corys in the quarantine tank now.

Also, I'm seeing several shrimp molts in the tank... not sure if its an above average number, or of its just that the tank is more open than the old one was.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive had two of my shrimp molt since getting them about 5 days ago. I think they molt a lot from what ive read...

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    6 Corys! I struggle to get food to 1 Cory because the Danios, Barbs, Tetras smash the flakes before it gets anywhere near the bottom. How do you feed them?

Good luck,
    Josh

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I feed small floating pellets and sinking tablets at the same time. The top-feeders may chase the sinking food on the way down, and may peck at it from time to time on the bottom, but for the most part they leave it alone. Not sure if that'll hold true once I get more fish species.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks great Brhino I like the look of the rocks on one side and the wood on the other
    60gal Community Planted
    12gal Quarantine

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    bah! This morning I find more shrimp on the sponge, in spite of the mesh I put up. Heck with it, I'm just going to leave it open, have good flow, and let them swim on in and hang out. It's not like being in there is going to hurt them... I'll scoop them back out now and then.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks great! Awesome job!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    The shrimp are protected from hungry fish in there. They will feed on biofilm from the sponge, so make sure when you rinse out the sponges that you do so one at a time. Think of it as "The Shrimp Preserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    bah! This morning I find more shrimp on the sponge, in spite of the mesh I put up. Heck with it, I'm just going to leave it open, have good flow, and let them swim on in and hang out. It's not like being in there is going to hurt them... I'll scoop them back out now and then.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Page 21 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast