· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    And if you make some more small holes in the sump you will have a perfect fry chamber that is likely to be home to a lot of small fish after a while. I had a tank with a similar design and I used to find 100s of small barbs
    , rasboras and tetras in that box every month.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Id probably paint the cabinet black...it will give the tank a more unified look. Have you thought of just having the tank drilled and doing a full on sump? You could use a rubbermaid tote for the sump filter and it will be a heck of alot cheaper than anything youd buy to just use whats provided.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bet MCHR is right, some thick black gloss on that stand and you might be able to make it match the top really well, or just a normal coat, and it'll match better.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!

re: the overflow box - I think I'll use it as-is. I'm interested in William's fry chamber, I'll have to get some in-depth advice on how to set things up to accomplish both filtration and fry protection.

re: painting the stand black - I'll have to take that up with the house's chief interior decorator. It's got a pretty nice finish on it now, I hate to mess with it even if it does sort of clash with the lid.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    STUFF THAT WAS IN THE BOXES, PART I

• Mystery Tube (2) - not sure what these were for. One of them is broken. Can anyone identify them? Trashing them unless I get advised otherwise.

I wonder if there's any internets left in these tubes...
    • Sponges (4) - in a variety of shapes and sizes. One of them looks like it might have been part of some filtration system. Trash.
    • 20-oz plastic cups from fast-food chains (2) - One of these is celebrates the 1988 US Olympic Diving Team. USA! USA! USA! Trash.
    • small bottle of "high range pH test indicator solution". Who knows how old this is. Trash.
    • airstones (3) - one is dirty but the other two look pretty new. Keeping those two.
    • small medication bottle - "Formalin" - 37% formaldehyde. I'm trashing all medications unless I hear otherwise (paging Dr. Spardas!), as I don't know how old they are or what conditions they've been kept in.
    • small bottle of "pH indicator solution". trash like its high-range companion.
    • child-size plastic cup, holding the previous items. Trash.
    • Coffee pot. Oookay. Trash.

It's a little known fact that Mbunas like their coffee black, no sugar.
    • Medium sized bag of carbon. Trash.
    • Python water changer. Looks like the 25-foot version, and an old model at that. Assuming it still works, it's a keeper!
    • A small hacksaw. Not really sure why this is with the fish stuff (acrylic cutting, maybe?) but it's in good shape so it's a keeper.

For aquarium projects, or for cutting the bodies up into pieces that will fit into suitcases? You decide!
    • A book, "You and your aquarium" by Dick Mills, copyright 1986. Keep for now. My daughter may like the pictures, and I might enjoy finding hilariously outdated advice.
    • A large tub of bright blue and white aquarium gravel. Yuck. Trash.
    • A large container of "Wardly tropical flakes". Liable to be expired as everything else. Trash.
    • A "Algae scraper", a sponge on a stick. Undecided about this. Could be useful so long as there aren't any contaminants on it.

For cleaning algae out of fish tanks and for scrubbing your back in the shower.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    STUFF THAT WAS IN THE BOXES, PART II

• A plastic manifold in good condition. Keeper.

I can't think of anything funny to say there. It's just a very functional little thingy.
    • A plastic dish full of dirty marbles and small rocks. Trash.
    • A 200 GPH Perfecto Powerhead, labeled as being "for Undergravel filters". Looks to be old just like everything else, but could be useful.
    • A 32-ounce bottle of "long life" medication, methylene blue. Same as other medication.
    • A plastic bag of hardware (screws and bolts and whatnot) labeled "Summer rm shelves". Man, now I'm going to have to get a summer room, and put shelves in it.
    • Large rock (4) two lava, two other. Might be useful, keep for now.
    • Misc. old decorations, including one that looks handmade. Trash.

Decorative greenish... somethings.
    • Old rusted valve type things (3) - would be useful, except for the bit about them being old and rusted. Trash.

mmm... crusty.
    • Small fish food container - "Wardley's Guppy Fare". Now, most of this stuff is old, but this particular container looks REALLY old. Who labels fish food "Fare", anyhow? Trash.
    • Glass-type Aquarium Heater - "Supreme HEETMASTER MOD II". I would be hesitant to use a heater this old for fish, but it could be useful for fishless cycling or as an emergency backup. Keep for now.

Yes, it's spelled HEETMASTER. HEET.
    • Small bottle of "Nox-Ich" malachite green medication. Did I say the guppy fare was old? This bottle has a slogan straight out of the 1950's on it: "JUST A DROP / ICH WILL STOP".
    • Automatic feeder (2) - Eeeeeew there's a decomposing mass of mushed-together fish flakes in there kill it kill it kill it with fire
    • Bottle of "life bearer" medication, with dimethyl hydroxy tricholormethyl phosphate. Any medication with that many letters in it has to be good. Trash.

Still got another box to go, but that's all for now!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First thing (the tubes) looks like in its heyday it could have been some sort of an attempt at a skimmer? some sort of weird filtration device? The little cup type area at the top of the one on the left one reminds me of a skimmer. I say reminds me of one because something else funky is going on there. Wow fish food labeled "fare" that must be fairly ancient. i love those mystery boxes that come with used tanks, there's always some funky ol stuff in them.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Id probably paint the cabinet black...it will give the tank a more unified look. Have you thought of just having the tank drilled and doing a full on sump? You could use a rubbermaid tote for the sump filter and it will be a heck of alot cheaper than anything youd buy to just use whats provided.
    Should you decide later to add a sump, I would like to add one small suggestion to the already great suggestions given here. If you use a rubber maid tote, use the lid on the tote to provide some structural support. Just cut out the center of the lid leaving the frame around the edges and put it back on the tote. This will help prevent the rubber maid tote from loosing it’s shape due to the pressure on the sides from the water. A friend of mine had done this with very little bowing on the sides. Most cost effective way to build a sump IMO.

Congrats on finding a great deal on a cool tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    The first two are airstone driven protein skimmers, they were a crude skimmer probably created around the 80s or earlier. I remember my parents having a marine tank with one in the late 80s so Im going on that. I would dump all meds...they have probably expired and not been kept in proper temps Im sure. Better safe than sorry with medications.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You folks are correct. I found another bit broken off one of the mystery tubes, that clearly says "Protein Skimmer" right on it. Now then... on with the show!

STUFF THAT WAS IN THE BOXES, PART III

• Documentation for the heater, and the python, and for some aquarium that is not mine - Keep for now.

Okay, yeah, this should work pretty good. Also, this is nothing like what I actually have.
    • Tetra air pump - looks old. Probably noisy... we'll see. Keep for now.
    • Glass heater with no identifying marks (3) - so that's four heaters now? Trashing these.
    • Visi-therm glass heater - holy cow, was this guy keeping fish or boiling water 75 gallons at a time? Anyhow, this one has an adjustable thermostat and everything, so I'll keep it for now.
    • Ballast for lights (2) - just confirms this is ancient technology that I don't want to mess with. Trash.
    • Melaframe pH test kit - complete with sodium bicarbonate and sodium biphosphate for raising and lowering pH. Box dated MCMLXVII, which is... 1976! Daaaaang old. Trash.
    • baggie with q-tips, bottle, and dropper - part of one of the test kits no doubt. Trash.
    • small bin w/ old thermometer, cable ties, wire nuts, toothpicks, bobbie pins - kept thermometer, trashed rest.
    • Permalife pH test kit - just like the Melaframe kit. This one doesn't have a date, but it does have a 1.29$ price tag, so... yeah.
    • Another plastic manifold - keep.
    • nitrite test bottle - trash.
    • "aquaid" acriflavine/methylene blue - more meds, more trash.
    • Vita-a-boost vitamin additive - says "refridgerate after opening". Oops. Trash.
    • Carbon containers (6) - little cylinders that you could hook up to an airline. Because if you've got carbon, what other filtration do you need? Trash.

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more carbon.
    • A washcloth - trash.
    • Cryst-L-Craze bottle, orange - This is some sort of material that you paint on a clear object that gives it a crystallized appearance, I guess? I don't know. Trash.

Thank you so much for not actually using this, Mr. Previous Aquarium Owner.