· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Brhino, outside of solder and the glue gun what do the whole set of materials cost you on the DIY moonlights?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Parts:
    LEDs, LED holders, resistors (got lots of spares for each): $10.62 including shipping
    power supply: had on hand (old cell phone charger)
    wire: had on hand (old lamp cord)

Equipment:
    All equipment I already owned and/or had access to at work. If I had had to buy any of this stuff the costs would have gone up.
    Soldering iron, hobby knife, digital multimeter, wire cutter, wire stripper, heat gun, hot glue gun.

Consumables:
    All consumables I used tiny amounts of stuff I had access to, so the true cost a few pennies but if I had had to buy new packages of any of this the costs would have gone up.
    Solder, duct tape, heat shrink tube, hot glue
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome I have all the same equipment from my days at Intel so I am lucky there. I think I even have a few transistors that are the same as what you used lying around.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up a Novus acrylic polishing and scratch removing kit and went to work on the tank. I probably spent about 4 hours on it total over two evenings. I didn't get every single scratch and nick but overall it's looking much clearer and prettier - I even did the black acrylic lid, too.

I filled the tank back up, because now it's time to start the fishless cycle! I'm very excited about this. Only one problem: I'm out of dechlorinator. Dang it. I'll have to stop and get some after work tomorrow. Oh well... in the mean time, the heaters can bring the tank up to 84F.

It is becoming apparent that the big piece of driftwood may not sink by the time I'm ready to set the tank up. I will have to think about a backup plan to weigh it down somehow. It will straddle the filter output plumbing, so it won't be as simple as just screwing it to a piece of slate.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The fishless cycle has begun!

The ammonia I got doesn't have a listed concentration, so I started with a teaspoon. Looks like one teaspoon gets me 0.5ppm ammonia. I'm sitting at about 4ppm now, I think. So now we wait...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Today is Day 9 for the fishless cycle. Got my first nitrite reading just now! Things are coming together... Probably the big setup day will be Saturday, February 12th. Next weekend shall be furniture moving day.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    After two weeks of cycling, my ammonia-eaters are full grown. I'm adding two teaspoons of ammonia - which should raise the level to 2ppm - to the tank each day, and when I take a measurement the next day its all gone.

Tomorrow: Operation IKEA Leviathan!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Operation: IKEA Leviathan

Here is where my community tank currently sits. Everyone agrees it's a nice little nook for a fish tank. I mean, it's got Darth Vader to watch over it and everything. The only problem is that it's a 29 gallon tank, and a 29 gallon tank only holds 29 gallons of fish. It would be so much more fun to put a bigger tank in there.

Enter: the bigger tank (still cycling in the basement). 75 gallons! I'm not a math major but I think 75 is a lot more than 29. We can put a lot more fish in there!

A standard 75 gallon tank is 48" long. When you add a little width for a stand, you get to about... 50".

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

The little nook with the fish tank has a width of 46". So, we're going to have to do some rearranging. We can't very easily move the wall on the right side of the nook, so we'll just move the furniture on the other side. What's on the other side?

The IKEA Leviathan, that's what. See, back in the day, before our daughter (provided in picture for reference) was born, my wife and I used to have some of what economists call "disposable income". We also had a lot of stuff with no place to go. So, at my wife's urging, one day we went to IKEA and disposed of that income, in exchange for the Leviathan. It holds the TV, and lots of our knick-knacks, and mementos, and stuff that really ought to be put someplace else but we put it there because there was space and haven't gotten around to finding an actual place for it. You've already seen our basement in this thread, you know how we operate.

So, the Leviathan had to move, and today was the day to move it. Of course, in order to move it, it had to be completely emptied out. Fortunately, it's actually three independent sections, so I could deal with one at a time.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

Cats do not like it when things change. EVERYONE INTO THE BUNKER! WE MUST TAKE SHELTER UNTIL THEY STOP CHANGING THINGS!

After several hours of emptying shelves, shoving large sections of furniture around, and then filling shelves back up, it was finally done. And it looks... pretty much exactly the same.

But it's not exactly the same, because the nook is now 52" wide... room for the tank and the stand, with an inch to spare on either side. Operation complete!

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast