· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Hey kids, it's time to talk about Titanium!
    Titanium is sorta gray colored, see?

I'm an engineer, which means I'm a nerd that collects a paycheck. I'm a big fan of science and I dislike it when people misuse it. I also have pet peeves that I like to complain about. I am a fun person at parties, mostly because the parties I go to are also filled with nerds.
    Sometime I will tell you about Brhinocon.

One of my pet peeves relates to products advertising the use of titanium like it has some kind of magical powers. Titanium is a useful metal to be sure, but you can't cut through an armored car with your titanium razor or jump start your armored car with only a AA battery with trace amounts of titanium in it. My wife, who tolerates me for inexplicable reasons, got to listen to my complaints and decided I could use some titanium in my life. So, she got me this:

Is this more effective than a steel spork? No. Is it more awesomer? Yes.*

I mention all this only to bring up the fact that I now have some additional titanium in my life, in the form of two ViaAqua 100W Titanium Heaters.

Is this more effective than a glass heater? Reviews say YES.

I've got just one set up in the tank now, with the dial turned all the way up to 93F. I want to see how hot the tank gets with just the one heater, simulating a worst-case scenario** in which one of the heaters malfunctions at gets locked on. I'm using a thermocouple probe to monitor the temperature. After I see what the maximum with one probe is, I'll try it with two.

Science involves a lot of probing.

I also got some appropriately sized media bags, and now the filter has all the biomax in it holding down the bioballs:

There is nothing funny about ceramic biomedia, so this caption is not a joke.

Once I finish my heater experiments (hopefully the stupid driftwood will sink by then) it will be time to clean up the tank, and decide if I want to try and fix any scratches or not. If not, it will be time to begin the fishless cycle!

**technically the worst-case scenario is BOTH heaters failing and getting locked on at the same time, but the odds of that happening should be roughly the same as the fish getting hit by a meteor.
    *"Honey, have you seen my spork?" is not an effective pick-up line.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    I have completed the single-heater testing. Here are my findings:

• Initial water temperature in basement was 71 degrees.
    • Test was started with canopy open and lights off. Single heater was installed and set to 93 degrees.
    • Tank reached 73 degrees in 5 hours, 75 degrees (target) in 11 hours.
    • Tank reached 76 degrees in a day and a half, at which time canopy was closed and lights were turned on for ~10 hours daily
    • Tank reached 81-82F after an additional day, and held this temperature for the next 24 hours with little variation.

Based on these results I am strongly considering using just one heater. It is more than capable of reaching the target temperature and will do so even if the room is several degrees cooler than my basement. This creates the minor added risk of the heater failing and shutting off, but if this happens the tank will only drop a few degrees back to room temperature. If the heater fails and stays permanently on, the temperature increase will be stressful for the fish but should not kill them. This looks to be the ideal situation.

In other news:

my LEDs and supplies arrived today. I'll take some time at work and assemble my lighting early next week.

I took some time today while the tank lights are on to take a good up-close look at the tank, and I've decided that I do want to try to fix the scratches. They are small but numerous. It should not add any delay to my schedule. I'll order the scratch removing material, drain the tank, fix the scratches, then fill it and begin the fishless cycle.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    I'm an engineer, which means I'm a nerd that collects a paycheck.
    He..he..he..welcome to the club

Spork......sounds like something Mork from Ork would have used.

You're also a darn, good writer. Great journal!
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-08-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Moonlights!

I've been wanting to make some moonlights for a tank for a while now. Partially it appeals to my engineering nature (I'm an electrical engineer to boot), and also I'm often up well after lights-out for the fish. I never got around to doing it, though, because to me the money was always better spent on something else. Would you rather have some fairly gimmicky little lights, or would you rather spend the money on more fish? Well, finally I told myself I was going to build some for the new tank, and I wasn't going to put any fish into it until I did.

I had a pretty good idea how to do it, and I've read several guides online, so it's not really fair to say the plans came from any one place, but here is the site I had open while I did the actual planning:
    http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...d.php?t=169831

That site has a link to a online LED supplier. I bought 10 diffuse LEDs, 10 LED holders, and 20 resistors for a total of $3.60 plus shipping. That is all I paid for on this project, everything else I already had or I borrowed.

There's one of the LEDs I used, plus the disassembled LED holder. They are blue LEDs that are supposed to be "diffuse", ie they project light in a softer pattern than a tight bright spot. FUN FACT: Unlike a light bulb, the color of the LED is determined by its molecular makeup. The color of the plastic is just so you can tell what color it is without having to power it.

Here's the LED assembled into the holder. The holder made the LED easier to hold and mount, and they cost a whopping eight cents each.

I soldered a current limiting resistor to the output of the LED. I'm not going to get into the electrical theory on wiring these. There's a pretty good explanation on the link I used, and I'll be happy to help out further for anyone reading this if you're interested. I then took a piece of lamp cord, removed some of the insulation on either side, and soldered the legs of the led/resistor assembly to the lamp cord. This is a pretty flimsy way to attach a LED to wiring and i don't really recommend doing it this way, but I was working with what I had. The cord in this photo is a short length I used for testing the idea... the actual cord was obviously longer.

INTERMISSION: UNRELATED CAT PHOTO

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

You can make a LED power supply out of just about any kind of wall plug-in DC adapter you have, so long as you're like me and you always hang on to such things. This one was a charger for a Nokia cell phone we're no longer using.

I cut off the plug from the charger, then soldered the charger wires to the lamp cord wires. I put some heat shrink tubing over the solder area, although electrical tape would have worked fine as well.

I tested out the lights and found that the solder joints were not holding up well. I fixed them but I got the sense that they were likely to break again, so I covered the joints in hot glue. The hot glue will provide the benefit of mechanically strengthening the structure as well as electrically insulating it to reduce the likelihood of shorting out.

This was all done at work where I have access to an abundance of equipment. After that, I took it home to install it in the tank...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Man this sure would make a great starter salt water tank. This is a great journal btw.
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community
    125g African Cichlid community

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I figured I would hot-glue the LED mounts to the side of my fluorescent light fixture. I asked my wife if we had a hot glue gun. She confirmed that we did but said it was somewhere in the Closet of DEATH.

The closet of death is a large walk-in closet in our guest room. It is a storage place for stuff we haven't figured out where to put yet. We've lived in this house for four years now and the closet of death is still waist-deep with stuff. Now and then my wife will summon the courage and the willpower to attempt to tame the closet of death, but so far every time it has defeated her. She has resolved to try once again this year.

But wait... hadn't I encountered a hot glue gun when I was cleaning out the basement a while ago? I was sure I had, and that I had put it in the art supply storage area. I looked there and sure enough I found the gun... loaded up with a tube of glitter glue.

Well, I wasn't about to brave The closet of death searching for a rumored second glue gun that may or may not also be loaded with glitter glue, so I decided to go with it. It's like the saying goes: when life gives you glitter, make glitterade.

I glued the LED holders to the side of the light fixture, and then taped down the lamp cord with duct tape. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Here's the completed assembly. I guess I haven't mentioned yet that I used three LEDs: one in the center of the tank, and one 15" away on either side. The LEDs are supposed to project light at a 60 degree angle, which according to the geometry should make for a pretty even distribution at the bottom of the tank.

Now for the big question: How does it actually look? In testing the LEDs I was afraid they were going to be too bright. After all, I'm aiming to simulate a faint moonlight, not bright blazing blue neon light. I closed the tank... with the lights still on in the room, you couldn't even tell the LEDs were on. So, I killed the room lights.

Taking photos in the dark is pretty tricky, so the shot's fuzzy but you get the general idea. The huge piece of driftwood is still floating near the center of the tank and it's blocking a lot of the light, but you can see on the right side what it's going to look like. The water's loaded up with tannins right now, so when it's clearer I suppose the lights will penetrate a bit more. I'm really happy with how it looks right now, though.

With the exception of putting all the lights on timers, I have now finished all the electrical work in the aquarium. Next up is to drain the tank and attempt to fix the numerous small scratches that are present. Getting close now...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Look good so far cant w8 to see fish in it

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good, I like the way your running these.

If you your electronics store offers them, give the jeweled LEDs a shot. Of all the ones I tested they gave me the best dispersals without compromising intensity, they are a bit longer but do the job.

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good.

I've always wanted to try a DIY lighting project, but just never made the time for it.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast