· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CQ's Cichlid Cove

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, there's another one.

Despite the potential water param issues (discussed in another thread), I'm determined to have cichlids. Preferably Africans, though I'm willing to settle for South American if they'll do better in my water. On the African side right now, the Kribs are leading the charge, while on the SAm side, it's Rams or apistogramma agassizii. One of the reasons I'm rooting so hard for the Kribs is because when all is said and done, it's my hope for each room in the house to represent a different continent or biotope. Once I talk to the LFS guy tomorrow and find out whether their stock is tank raised/used to the local water params, I'll have a better idea which way I'll be headed with this project.

And on the upside, one of my coworkers said she has an entire room of aquarium stuff she no longer needs. Including, she thinks, a 55L. She's going to put together a list of what she's got for me, and hopefully it's stuff that I can use for my projects. It would certainly save some $$$...
    30g Tetra Zen: 14 neons, 8 black neons, 10 julii cory, 4 nerites & growing
    40B Ghost Ship: under construction, 12 ghosts temporarily in the TZ
    10g Betta Berth: male spade tail betta, 5 nerites
    1g & 3g Snail & Shrimp Picos: 2 RCS
    40L Hillstream, 55 Cichlid, 40B Bayou Teche, 40B Tetra Tenancy, 10g-2, 29g Rasbora Ranch: in my dreams

Awards Showcase

It's the easter CPD...Happy Easter to you and the family. - Taurus Happy 2 Year Anniversay - Boundava Happy anniversary! - wgoldfarb A gift for two great years ;-) - steeler58 and here's to the next 20,000! - RiversGirl 
    20,000 post's 'NUFF SAID" ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 TGIF and thanks for the rep :-) - Taurus TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 for being an awesome fish friend! - nickellmama27 
    Thx for all your help! - BluewaterBoof it's the weekend - cm12setx Thanks for the rep brother ;-) - steeler58 Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger 
    Just because ;-) - steeler58 Thank you for helping with my filter problem! - showmebutterfly Happy Saturday back at you ;-) - steeler58 Sorry, no blue shrimp, but here's because you have N. davidi variants! - Anders247 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - Boundava 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    You've got alot of WC's in your future, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    But it'll be worth it. What I'm really going to need though is a different adapter for my python. The one that comes with it doesn't fit either of the sinks in the bath across the hall from this room or the hose for the shower head. The hose definitely won't reach from the kitchen sink, and I'm not entirely sure it'll reach from the master bath either...
    40L Hillstream, 55 Cichlid, 40B Bayou Teche, 40B Tetra Tenancy, 10g-2, 29g Rasbora Ranch: in my dreams

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Have a tetra :) - steeler58 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Thanks for the moss! - hydrophile Heres a lovely little Cafe Latte for you for your great amount of help! - Guppygalore 
    you ask for one - cm12setx in memory of yours. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly Cheers! - cajunqn81 
    You need a gourami! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Adding hose is easy, just get an extender, comes in 25" or up I believe. They also have a bunch of faucet adapters, but I never had luck with it on a bathroom faucet. I always had it go to a utility tub in basement or laundry room. That is why I have over 75 feet of tubing on mine.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, pleco, shrimp, snails and Neptune (betta)
    5g. planted w/DW, and female betta
    5g. planted w/DW, and male betta, and snail
    10g. CYCLED!!! Orange shrimp, and Chili rasboras
    20L CYCLED!!! Blue Pearl Shrimp, Epsei and CPD

My 75g: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=119061

My 10/20Lshrimp tank: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...801&highlight=

0 Not allowed!
    I suppose we'll see what happens. I've got an adapter that fits the kitchen sink, but it's too small for the hall bath and too large for the master.

2 Not allowed!
    A you have seen I'm doing research for a cichlid tank as well. Some of the malawi cichlids I'm looking at supposed to be hardy easy to keep -certainly much easier than rams, which I believe require pristine water. I'll follow your progress closely!

Awards Showcase

Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!! - SeaLady Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED 
    right back at cha :o) - fishmommie T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    kribs are neat and these are too.

Neolamprologus brichardi
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

0 Not allowed!
    Pristine water isn't my primary worry, regardless of which cichlids I end up deciding on. It's finding some that are well-adapted for the parameters of the local water, so that I won't have to attempt modifying the water chemistry and end up losing stability. Because stable pH and hardness can be more important in the long run than having a specific pH and hardness... Water here is slightly to the left of neutral out of the tap (6.6-6.8), hardness of 60-70. I've been told that if the cichlids are tank-bred and raised rather than wild-caught, particularly if they've been raised in local water, I shouldn't have too many issues. And I really, really want this tank to be an African community... Crossing my fingers for good news from the LFS tomorrow...

Awards Showcase

Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!! - SeaLady Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED 
    right back at cha :o) - fishmommie T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    that would work well for rams kribs or apistogramma agassizii. funny thing is city of Houston water is great for most African chiclids and there are good breeders here.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

1 Not allowed!
    The guy I talked to at the LFS today wasn't the cichlid expert, but he did tell me a few important things.

1) Most of their stock is tank-bred.
    2) Their system uses a blend of RO and local tap water, mixed with Seachem Safe, which is shared by ALL the freshwater tanks. No additional buffers or chemicals to alter water chemistry. So their params are actually pretty close to mine.

Hooray!