· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a bottom feeder for the new tank! - Rue   Hang in there! - mommy1   

Question Plecos Under 6 inches

0 Not allowed!
    I want a pleco for algae control in my new community tank that just got done fish-less cycling . Tanks not super huge for any pleco ( only a 40 breeder) so i would like to know are there any other plecos that stay 6 inches or under other that BNs. those are the only recommendations ive heard from here and im pretty curious to see what else is out there so far i seen king tiger, rubber lip, clown but is there anything else ?
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy   Good job with your filter - Cliff   No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers   Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228   
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380   

0 Not allowed!
    There's zebras but they cost big bucks and are hard to find. I love my 2 clowns though. Great little plecos. There are also pitbull plecos which are quite small. Out of king tiger, clown, BN, rubberlip, zebra, and pitbull that's are fair amount of options. You could also go with an albino BN is you like the whire plecos.
    Last edited by Pleco380; 09-16-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    26 gallon- 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Rummy-nose Tetras
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Ancistrus claro are reported to be good algae eaters and stay under 3" ,

You would probably have to order them online though.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=152
    Last edited by KingFisher; 09-16-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleco380
    There's zebras but they cost big bucks and are hard to find. I love my 2 clowns though. Great little plecos. There are also pitbull plecos which are quite small. Out of king tiger, clown, BN, rubberlip, zebra, and pitbull that's are fair amount of options. You could also go with an albino BN is you like the whire plecos.
    well doesnt hurt to try and see if there is something else out there . thanks. . . . do you know if the king tiger pleco are really expensive or average price ? i may go with them or BN since there is nothing else i can find that im interested in at the moment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    Ancistrus claro are reported to be good algae eaters and stay under 3" ,

You would probably have to order them online though.
    interesting may ask my lfs if they can get those for me but first going to have to do research on them. are they like other plecos ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy   Good job with your filter - Cliff   No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers   Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228   
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGBlak
    well doesnt hurt to try and see if there is something else out there . thanks. . . . do you know if the king tiger pleco are really expensive or average price ? i may go with them or BN since there is nothing else i can find that im interested in at the moment.
    I believe the king tigers are a bit pricey, I've heard the can be 40-50 bucks canadian. Not sure about in the US. Zebras are crazy expensive (up to $300 at times!). But BN's, clowns, rubberlip are fairly cheap.
    26 gallon- 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Rummy-nose Tetras
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleco380
    I believe the king tigers are a bit pricey, I've heard the can be 40-50 bucks canadian. Not sure about in the US. Zebras are crazy expensive (up to $300 at times!). But BN's, clowns, rubberlip are fairly cheap.
    if they are then im going wit BNs not gonna spend that much on him lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGBlak
    interesting may ask my lfs if they can get those for me but first going to have to do research on them. are they like other plecos ?
    I have eight A. claro in my 75. They act a lot like regular BN, just a good deal smaller and far more ornate. All they need is several cave-like hiding places and a LOT of softened (by holding into boiling water for a couple minutes) vegetation, like zucchini slices. They like cantaloupe a lot, and of course they love green algae. I culture it on stones for them, since my tanks are planted, and there's no algae to be found in them.

Cucumber, sliced in half, they'll eat, but aren't as avid for it as they are for cantaloupe and algae. The will gnaw at the al dente zucchini if there's nothing else to be had that night.

You'd put the vegetation in at night and leave it in for 24 hours, then remove it and replace it with something else. If you hunt around for threads by me, there's a piece on feeding otocinclus that applies to claro as well, and in my loricariad primer, there's an entry on claro you may find illuminating.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go