· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    quick question.....was this budgie hand fed as a baby? if it was then your chances of a broken bond are slim to none. hand fed birds tend to flock more with humans due to them associating you with food.

0 Not allowed!
    I didnt get the older budgie that I was looking at. The breeder called me yesterday and said that he had a younger bird that was a few weeks old.. not hand fed though. I picked it up last night.

Spent some time this morning getting it used to me. It flapped around the cage a bit but then ended up sitting on my wrist for about 15 minutes before my arm got tired and I put it back on the perch. Thats good progress right?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very good progress, did you get tasted?

budgies make great companion birds, they are colorful, very very song productive and their songs are awesome. I dont think they can mimick words like bigger parrots can, i know I had a hard time getting even my cockatiels to talk I never attempted the budgies.

if you can get him in a small room where he feels content(confined a bit but content) and you are all it has to observe it will become close with you fairly quickly.

Good luck, post some pics, ill get some of mine maybe see if we can sweet talk a forum under the name "other pets"

0 Not allowed!
    They can sometimes learn a word or two but now they are not like the larger amazons, gray jacko etc that you can&#180;t get to shut up ;-)
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, it's a budgie that holds the record for the largest vocabulary...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    I know it accredited with that but it really depends on wht you consider vocabulary, If you consider single words or sentences structures etc as well. There are as an example macaws that use a vocabulary of 4000 expressions, but if you divide it into the different words it become less.

And lets be honest, most budgies don&#180;t learn anything nearly as quickly as the larger parrots.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, small update. I'm getting the budgie (named Fitz after Fitzchivalry farseer) to sit on my finger relatively easily. I may have to follow it around a little, but it isn't frantic or anything. Sometimes I cant get it to go back on the perch. I even managed to take it out of the cage on my finger and it sat there for a little while before hopping off. Its not eating the spray millet even though I left a little piece inside the cage.

Good progress for one day? It wasn't hand raised or anything, so I'm hoping it is
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats good progress, another thing to keep in mind, birds are alot like fish, there are some loners and some schoolers, birds flock together. While not having other budgies around it will think you are its flock.

the millet i used to break off the spray buds and put them in their food dish then they would eat at their leisure.

What coloration is it? I think budgies or used to think they were only blue and white.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    That's excellent. Just be patient and don't rush. I think what happens with people and birds is that they often expect a bird to react quickly like a dog/cat would do - and when it doesn't, they figure it's wild or untrainable when in truth it just takes a LOT longer with most of them (there are always exceptions).

And you also can't ever 'discipline' a bird like a dog...no yelling at it...etc., they take that personally.

To discipline, put it back in it's cage with no fuss. BUT you also need to give it a reward for going in it's cage.

So for example, if I get bitten (and it wasn't my fault) I'd quietly put the bird in it's cage, not talking to it. Then I'd give it a sunflower seed (or whatever) in it's food dish. If I was putting it away and it had been good...then I'd be chatting and happy, saying 'Good bird!', and then give it a sunflower seed.

The other thing you can do is turn your back on it. That signifies displeasure on your part.

Birds also really like excitement...so experiment and find the right level of vocal excitement and anything else you can think of that the bird enjoys.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Mine is blue with greyish blue wings and a yellow head
    <-- Click for journals