· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Any budgie keepers?

0 Not allowed!
    How hard is it to hand tame an older budgie that has already molted? Can they still be hand tamed?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    patience and a lot of millet spray is all it takes :]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think they molt 2-3 times per year, if you are meaning its finally got its adult feathers then its still young.
    I keep smaller parrots(senegal and a meyer) now, I have kept budgies,parakeets and cockatiels for years and years.

is its wings clipped? if so it should be easy, yeah the bites hurt but try getting bit by a parrot. maybe a glove but each bird reacts differently to a gloved hand so it might not take to it.

Millet and patience is key. Also, you do feed it fruits and veggies to right?
    http://www.avianweb.com/safefoods.html

0 Not allowed!
    Age really doesn&#180;t matter that much if you just have patience. I am rehabilitating two red lored amazons at the moment. Bigger, smarter bird but the same basic process works.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William
    Age really doesn´t matter that much if you just have patience. I am rehabilitating two red lored amazons at the moment. Bigger, smarter bird but the same basic process works.
    that is very true, My uncle passed and left his african grey and blue and gold macaw to my cousin(great uncle so my cousins uncle too). it took them about 8-10 weeks to completely come around to him. 10 years later(macaw and grey gotta be close to 50 years old) he still is working on their foul language from our uncle.

i dont clip wings and neither does my cousin, our parrots are 100% full flight capable but dont fly anywhere, the two big parrots he has were outdoor raised when my uncle was alive and living in imperial beach california.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the advice. This is a young bird that I believe has just had its first molt some time ago. Its definitely less than a year old. So do I just go the regular route of getting it used to my hand in the cage and later trying to get to perch on my finger? How do I use the millet spray in this? Forgive my ignorance, but my experience with birds is limited to an amazon I had years ago and an owl I raised. Both birds were unclipped and allowed to roam my house, yard and trees.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Once it's used to you (I'd give it at least a week to settle in - then play it by ear - it might need more time, or not), you need to work with it in a neutral space. I like the bathroom. Make sure the toilet seat is down. While I'm not a fan of clipping wings, for training purposes it is a useful tool.

Once the bird is used to you feeding it and being nice...I would clip the wings...and start on 'training' sessions in the bathroom. Once a day for 10 minutes is a good start. If it can't fly will be less likely to hurt itself careening all over the bathroom (and into walls, etc.) and will be more likely to voluntarily step up on your fingers.

Lots of praise and food rewards if you can figure out what it likes the best (I find it hard to give food rewards to budgies...lol...a millet spray is too big...and most foods take too long to eat...)...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For the week that you are letting it settle in, make millet spray easily available so that it recognizes it as a food, not a terrifying object. Then for the getting used to your hand just inside the cage part, holding a piece of millet spray, with 2-3" out to the bird, is a great incentive for the bird to speed up the process of checking out your hand. I actually don't recommend clipping, or if you do, have a vet do it. But keep in mind, the stressful situation of being held, with its wings pried open, WILL break the bond you've created with the bird. Either get it clipped before you start training, or be prepared to start all over. But the best is not clipping :]

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the issue of clipping for initial training.

You won't break the bond that easily. But I agree, if you can get someone else to be the 'bad guy' and do the clipping, it may help.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    If the bond breakes you might be doing it to early. Most birds I have cut (try to avoid it but sometimes necessary in young birds when they feel it is time to leave the nest.) have had no objections to being cut at all. It is just another form of interaction. Might depend on how far you cut them.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.