· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

Default 15 gal betta tank / quarantine

0 Not allowed!
    So, as some people may know, I was planning on getting a 10 gal tank to act as a new home for my poor tortured snails (the ranchus kept attacking them) and as a fully prepared quarantine tank. But, having an empty tank with no fish is boring, and the only fish that could be removed if ever I needed the tank in an emergency is a betta.

I went to the store to compare a few prices and found a few items on sale. I managed to get a waterhome 20 (15 gal) kit for $99 (Can). As it was cheaper than the 10 gal, I figured this would be as good, if not better. Of course, I did not pick up the betta too, since the tank needs to be prepared first.

The kit came with a "Hagen Aquaclear 30 Hang-On Power Filter" which looks okay... I've only ever had an eheim 2213, so this HOB stuff is new. I didn't put in the carbon and opted for a purigen instead.

I put about an inch of gravel from my 32gal. I had extra in my 32gal because I planned a week ahead for the new tank. I hope this transfers some BB. The purigen was also in my eheim, so that should help too. I filled the 15 gal tank with 50% old water from my 32 gal, and 50% new. Treated with prime and stability and a shot of stress zyme.

I transferred my rocks over, 2 shells from dead nerite snails and added a piece of sepia bone. I did this for the 3 horned armor snails which I transferred over very quickly, since they have been a week under the driftwood hiding, and I fear without food. I gave them a piece of an algae wafer... 2 have moved, which is promising, as the last 3 weeks I have seen little to no movement.

The plan now is to get a betta soon. I don't know how cycled the tank is now, and will run the tests tomorrow. There is a fake plant in there for now, but I intend on getting 2-3 real ones.

Any suggestions on what to add for the betta? A type of plant they like, a setup they enjoy? Things to avoid?

Here is a pic of the current setup:
    I groom ranchus. That is all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    They like some plants to hide and lay in. Some moss and java ferns would be nice for him.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll be going to the good LFS tomorrow or this weekend to pick up plants.

As for the betta, I found a local breeder! Just sent them a message saying I'd like to purchase one of their bettas. How much should I be expected to pay?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Anywhere from 5-15 dollars probably.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Does the price depend on the breed?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your fist Gift! - Northernguy   fellow Torontonian :) - NanoTankGuy   congrats on your first Pearl - NanoTankGuy   yeaaaaa - Lady Hobbs   Born there. Sorry about the G20 - little hawaii   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on the colouration and size and quality. Could be more, anywhere from $20-$40! I bought some from Montreal, and that was the price range!
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    May I ask where in Montreal? I am trying to contact the breeder I found, but so far no reply.

They have three grades of betta according to the site. A, AA and AAA. Prices are 20-30, 35-45, 50+. I think A will be fine for me, since I don't plan on breeding it.

On a side note, I installed the heater today and got the temperature up to 24C. The snails moved more, which is good, but they aren't eating yet. I would move them closer to the food, but I don't want to disturb them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Update: I'm going to see the breeder tomorrow at 2pm. I'm looking forward to it :D

The snails are doing much better now and are eating and sucking on the sepia bone. I planted the aquarium, added a floating log hiding spot, and completed the cycle by taking some biomax out of my eheim 2213 and put it in the aquaclear 30. Ph is close to 7-7.4. Temperature 24-25C. All other parameters 0.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First fish for your AC tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on the new betta! - Pleco380   

0 Not allowed!
    Plants are good. ;D They love them. Don't know if you are gonna buy real or fake but if you are buying fake, I would go with silk. Less chance of fin damage.

Also, bettas don't like much water current. If you have a filter with an adjustable water flow, I would see if you minimize the flow of water. Enjoy your betta, which ever one you choose.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I could post a pic right now, but he spent all evening adjusting to the tank.

I have real plants, and last I check on him he was resting on one of them near the surface, something the breeder told me he would do given the chance.

As for the current, yeah, I learned that really quickly... When I tried to turn the current back on to normal, the poor little guy got pushed around something fierce. He also had a few bad encounters with the intake, despite the filter being on the low setting. I think he's learned a few lessons today.

I think he has spent his whole life in a small vase, so a 15 gallon planted aquarium equipped with a filter is a big change. With any luck tomorrow he'll show off that tail for my camera and I can snap a good shot for you guys.