· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    Hmmm I see, but can't you just make a compartment of your sump do the same thing? I had assumed that the sump compartments did most of the cleaning.

Not really for phosphate remover (gfo) or carbon. You want pressure for these media to work efficiently and a chamber in the sump won't give you the pressure you need. Thats where the reactor comes into play. It forces water from the bottom up through the media so that the media gently tumbles or "fluidizes".

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Lab, I didn't realize that.

Good thing I took some of your advice before

I now better understand why you suggest a reactor in one of my past threads.

Keep that great info come'n
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I gotcha that makes sense... makes a lot of sense now that I think about it haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Got the tank full and everything is up and running. Salinity is between 1.024 and 1.025 (testing with a Vertex refactormeter), temp 79.5F and 8.2 PH. Im ready to add the live rock and cycle the tank. Hopefully our SW LFS will have there shipment of new live rock by this weekend so I can start to cycle.

Good thing I wont be getting the live rock until this weekend. It will likely take me that long to get my skimmer adjusted correctly. Its a used red-sea Berlin 2 skimmer so its not going through a break-in period. Its just a darn touchy skimmer. Just a matter a trial and error now as I'm getting close
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    need... PICS!! haha good to hear the whole system is up and running Cliff congrats
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    No new pics this weekend. Our SW LFS did not get in the live rock they ordered. Hopefully their vendor will ship it this coming week

This will give me even more time to wash the sand substright I got for the tank.

When trying to figure why, ( after two cleanings followed by a week of running) my used skimmer wasnt working correctly, I noticed it was sucking up bubbles from the tank drain line. I put a filter sock on the drain line and no more bubbles in the sump. Skimmer is working OK(ish) now. That is, OK for a mid to low quality skimmer. Im still going to up-grade the skimmer soon when I get a chance to research a brand and model to use.

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear you've solved your skimmer issue Cliff, well temporarily at least, a skimmer is one of the things I'm worried about purchasing since it's important but to get a good one is expensive... best of luck finding a middle ground! I'll be watching to see what you can come up with haha

Also sorry to hear no live rock this week :/ o well hopefully it gets in asap

0 Not allowed!
    You bet Hockeyhead, from what Ive found your skimmer and lighting are key to a great reef set-up.

As soon as Im cycled, Ill be up-grading my skimmer to a Vertex 180. Its a really good brand, and theres a LFS here in town that I can get it from.

You can also find a lot of great deals on E-bay or cregslist. Just stick with a good brand name with extra capacity and you will be fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I was definitely thinking those are the two key ingredients to having a successful tank, that and keeping flow in the tank (less important that the first two but still up there on the list)

so I'm trying to get a solid skimmer and lighting

what type of lighting are you deciding to go with Cliff?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going for either a 6 or 8 bulb HO T5 fixture.

Not too sure on the brand yet, still looking into it.

I picked T5 lighting due to lower heat given off and a little less energy used when compaired to MH

You also get a few more option over bulbs.

I am still looking into this this. The first few months, my tank will be a FOWLER tank with reef friendly fish so I will have some time to look into it even more. And, (hopfully) find a good used use fixture too.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast