· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

Default Cichlid community tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hello I am a new member, I've read lots of articles from this site. I bought some fish from a girl on cl who was moving, and set up a 75 gallon aquarium for them. I have it decorated with 2 large grotto rocks and some large limestone rocks I found at a dry creekbed. It is a sweet set up.
    The fish are as follows:
    1 Jack Dempsey cichlid 6 inches
    1 Green Terror cichlid 5 inches
    1 Fire mouth cichlid 4 inches
    1 jewel cichlid 3 inches
    2 Bala Sharks 7 inches and 4.5 inches
    1 red tail shark 3 inches

There is no fighting but the Jack Dempsey chases other fish around. He is the only one I am worried about right now. I have had them about a week and a half and the Jack Dempsey mostly hides and hasn't really eaten. I am worried he will die, or is sick. The green terror on the other hand is a piggy and isn't too afraid of people. The jewel and fire mouth have also become less shy. I am just looking for advice if Jack is sick, or if these fish are compatable, and if I can add any other cichlids to the tank?

The bala sharks and red tail shark I am thinking of moving to a 125gallon tank with a 14 inch managuense(jaguar) cichlid and a 12 inch oscar. The managuense bullies the oscar a little and I thought adding some large bala sharks might take some of the pressure off the oscar. Those 2 fish do not fight but managuense seems like she is keeping the oscar in a corner. The oscar has had hole in the head for years and is not too active. I recently adopted him and have been treating the hole in the head. He became very active after a week of giving him medicine, I stopped for a couple weeks and he just sits in the corner again. I am proceeding with medicating his food again. Does anyone think the holes can ever heal over? he is covered with them. Can adding a couple large bala sharks help distract managuense from bullying the oscar?

Thanks for everyones advice and opinions.
    Last edited by openbook; 08-30-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    When you bought the fish from the girl, did you buy the whole set up, with the used filter media, gravel, etc? If your JD is not eating that is not a good sign. They're usually pretty piggy. Have you checked your water parameters?

I'd move the balas into the 125g, if the jag will tolerate them. I'd probably leave the RTBS in with the lesser aggressive cichlid tank, as I think the jag would destroy him.

I don't keep O's and have never had to deal with HITH so I'll leave someone else to answer that part. I do know poor water quality precipitates it, so massive water changes are likely in order.

Welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    She only sold the fish. I tested the water daily for 4-5 days, I will check again. The gravel came out of the old oscar tank after I moved him to my house. I also put in a couple biowheels and filters from the 125 and bought some bacteria supplement to help get the tank cycling.
    Maybe the move was just too stresfull on Jack Dempsey, hopefully he makes it. I think I'll try and feed them some formula 1 frozen food tomorrow.
    Thanks for the input.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    That's a massive bioload to put on an uncycled tank, even with some used media and gravel. This would be about the right time for an ammonia spike, I'd be checking that immediately and doing water changes as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite minimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A gift for a fellow SA cichlid lover! - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    For what its worth i think that the jag will eventuall kill the oscar, and likely anything else if he has decided that the tank is his.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    That's a massive bioload to put on an uncycled tank, even with some used media and gravel. This would be about the right time for an ammonia spike, I'd be checking that immediately and doing water changes as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite minimal.
    So far so good ammonia was around 0-.25 mg/L can't tell which color it was closer to.
    Nitrite is at 0.3 ml/L
    PH around 7.5-8
    Last edited by openbook; 08-31-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolingeffect
    For what its worth i think that the jag will eventuall kill the oscar, and likely anything else if he has decided that the tank is his.
    She's not very agressive, she's bossy but doesn't bite.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I will do a water change soon. I can get springwater from a nearby source. It's in the city of minneapolis, I'm not sure if it's polluted. People used the water in the 70's when there was a water shortage and the city water went bad. It pumps out 500,000 gallons of spring water a day. I could also use RO water, or I could age a couple buckets of plain ole tap water. What would be best for these fish?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome! - rich311k   For helpful advice - Cliff   just adding to the discus - korith   new salty. - WhiteDevil   

0 Not allowed!
    No need to age the tap water, just add a dechlorinator and you're ready to go as long as it is temp matched.
    SW: 25 gallon Cardiff reef and 50 gallon reef
    FW: 8, 46, 75, and 120 gallon display tanks plus 450 sf fishroom.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Well I added the 2 Bala sharks to the 120 with the Oscar and the Managuense. It seems to be helping distract Managuense from bullying the Oscar. The Bala sharks activity seems like it's drawn out the Oscar and his black coloring seems darker, I am pleased.

In the 75 the Jack Dempsey didn't want to eat any of the frozen food, and he's been on a rampage chasing the Green terror around, no good. Maybe that tank will settle down some without those Bala Sharks chasing each other around like crazy.
    Last edited by openbook; 09-01-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast