· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Common pleco in a pond?

0 Not allowed!
    hey guys so I bought this common pleco for my 20g community tank before i knew how big he was going to get... he was one of the first fish i ever got and i was super inexperienced.. anyways, He is almost 2 years old now is and like 6 inches long. I have an a big outdoor pond with 6 small koi. would it be possible for him to live in the pond if he was acclimated slowly enough, atleast during the summer?
    fish are friends, not food

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    During the summer it may survive but the winter will kill it.
    Have you tried asking at the lfs?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen many plecos spend their summers in ponds, but yes, winter will kill it. you'd hafta bring him inside.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is too small for the sharks, as well. You may have to see if you can take some fish back to the store or trade them with someone for something more fitting to a 20 gallon.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Your tank is too small for the sharks, as well. You may have to see if you can take some fish back to the store or trade them with someone for something more fitting to a 20 gallon.
    my LFS said that the sharks would be alright in a 20 gal with the other fish listed. maybe i'll trade them in for something smaller though. thanks for your help with the pleco.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a goldfish for your 10 gallon?  NOT! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    The LFS wants a sale. Not to mention that labeos (sharks) are incompatible with their own sp. The dominant one will kill the smaller one, then probably attack everything else in that tank.
    10 gallon planted with betta
    55 gallon Malawi Cichlids
    120 with SA cichlids, Pleco and Pictus Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    you didn't cycle your cardboard box.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You will learn to not take your lfs advice without doing your own research first.Just give them a nod and go find out for yourself what is best for your fish.They want to make money on you.
    The sharks get 6" long and need room to swim.They can also get rather aggressive with each other.Too big for a 20gal.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/redtailedshark.php
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You can put the pleco into the pond for the summer but like the others said it's not going to survive the winter. A friend of mine who has a pond here in MA has 2 pleco in it. In the winter he puts a 2 foot high kids pool in his basement that he transfers all his fish into to make sure they survive the winter. It seems to work pretty well for him.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    If you read this thread http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=68051

you'll see the fish store workers told him 5 goldfish were fine in less than 7 gallons of water, too.

Best to search out the kind of fish you like, read up about them and then return to the store when you know more about them.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys- ok so i did some research and i think my fish are definitely rainbow sharks, not redtailed sharks. do they have the same temperment or will they also outgrow the tank and attack my other fish?