· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default What have we done?!

0 Not allowed!
    Saturday, we went to the LFS with the intention of getting 4 more danios for our existing 4, which would make a nice school of 8.

I should have left my husband at home.

We walk in, go over to check out the danios, and the LFS employee walks over and asks if we need any help. We said we're here to pick out a few more danios to put in our tank, so she pointed out the tanks we were already looking at, with the danios. (duh)

Then she points out a couple of fish that are in with some of the danios...a golden wonder killiefish. She said that they really do well with danios, and they just hang out at the top of the tank.

I haven't done one second of research on any killiefish at that point, so all we have to go on is the crappy advice from the LFS employee...who is the same girl who told me that if we continue doing water changes while our tank is cycling that it will never be truly cycled because we're getting rid of the good bacteria when we do water changes...WHATEVER...

Anyway, I'm still set on 4 danios. My husband is taking a different view, however, since he thinks the killie is kinda cool looking, and she said it would get around 4" long. So now I have my husband and the store employee trying to talk me into this Golden Wonder Killiefish, that I know nothing about. It's about the same size as the danios it's in with, and I finally relented. We got 3 danios and the killie.

Now I'm wondering what on earth I've done! I'm researching as much as I can, and I'm not convinced that this killie is going to work in my tank. We're not even sure what else we want to put in there just yet. It's only a 26 gallon tank that now has 7 danios, 1 swordtail, and the killie.

Just how worried do I need to be that this killie is going to eat my smallest danios? We have a couple that are still pretty small.

And to boot, our swordtail's behavior changed pretty radically last night, he usually swims up and down and up and down all over the tank, and last night he decided to hide in one of the cave rocks we have....he's never done that before (we've had him about a month) and I wonder if he is just freaked out by all the new activity in the tank with him or if there might be something wrong with him.

Water paramaters have stayed steady for 3 weeks now, 0 ammonia, nitrites, and varying degrees of nitrates, never over 20ppm.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Golden wonders will eventually eat the danios. They arent aggressive, just voracious eaters. They have a HUGE mouth and will eat anything that can fit in. Mine used to jump out of the water to catch ghost shrimp that had launched themselves out and gotten stuck on the lid. They also ate a few creatures that I didnt think they were capable of eating, including a dwarf frog and a few guppies that were at least a third of the GWs size. If you want to keep the danios I would suggest moving them or the GW.
    “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    -Thucydides

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh...

We've only had him two days, and he nips at me if I reach in to move something. :(

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No worries , we have all made mistakes like this. And yes, they are often times encouraged by our significant others who may not understand the intricacies of properly stocking a tank . My wife still pouts when she suggests a fish that simply will not work in my setups.
    The Golden Wonders are an amazing fish. They have nice colors with very interesting behavior and feeding habits. They are very hardy, so most of the strict requirements for Killie keeping dont really apply to this particular species. If you decide to keep it and get rid of the danios I think you will be satisfied with the decision. Just a matter of personal preference I guess.
    “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    -Thucydides

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think we've decided to take the 'wait and see' approach with this. I know that he will eventually be 4" long, and quite large enough to eat our danios. I like the danios, and am hoping to keep them.

Our LFS takes fish back if they're not working out in their new homes, so I don't think we will have a huge problem returning him if we decide that we can't keep him.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He will be able to eat the danios well before he reaches four inches. The GWs grow faster than the danios. If you dont want them to become food for the GW you should probably rehome one or the other. Good luck with your setup .
    -Thucydides