· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Saving my Swords?

0 Not allowed!
    I just wanted to know if there is any chance that my Amazon Sword will grow big and healthy. It is the first plant I ever bought(From a PetCo tube, since it was the only LFS that I knew)...

Right now I have it in a 10 gallon with Eco Complete. My lightning is 1.5 w/g. The sword is very tiny, and it came with a "baby". It is probably not longer than 6" and I tought that was ok, but it has been like that for at least 3 months, and I was told that A. Swords were quick growers. The "baby" one is the same size for 3 months too. Not more than 2". I feel bad when I go to other LFS and see those amazingly big and green leaves.

Other plant I'm having issues with is the Pygmy Chain Sword. It is not really growing, not forming a carpet... The leaves are starting to get some kind of dark green algae.

I dosed Flourish for the first time one month ago or so. Now I got a root tab under the Pygmy Chain Sword.

What can I do?

If you need more info, just ask.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't grow swords as well as I should, either. They are iron hogs. Get some plant tabs and stick a couple around the roots. That's aquarium plant tabs, not houseplant tabs. And do not plant it too deep.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Thanks - Celtic Fins   and another one - Celtic Fins   Great tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Swords...just love em.... Mine are now growing out through the surface of the water which is 24 inches deep :-) I had these swords in my smaller tank originally. When I set the new tank up I noticed they started growing within two weeks. The diff, more lighting... running 6 x 4-w t8's 10hrs a day. Once I added the Co2...bang they started producing 2 or 3 leafs a week and 24+ inches tall. I am now clipping the new growth off in order to reduce the size of the plants.

One must do with swords, prior to planting chop 1/3 of the root system away. This encourages growth and ensure a good root system. Have a look at the pic of my tank from last months TOTM... that pic was taken August last year.
    Paul

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Thanks - Celtic Fins   and another one - Celtic Fins   Great tank! - Northernguy   

Default A quick shot of the swords

0 Not allowed!
    I just took a quick shot of my swords
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! Thanks - Northernguy   you're a distinguished toad - gabbyguppy   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with kennedpa... CO2, root tabs and decent lighting will get those swords going. Like him, my swords are growing through the surface of my tank which is 19" and constantly give me plantlet offshoots with 1.45 WPG so I think you should be ok there.

Be careful what you wish for as it gets to be too much really... any time I trim my swords down my garbage is full with leaves.

PS... I thought I recognized his name.... I was in the TOTM for July too!
    31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    LOL

Glad to hear I am not the only one that cuts and throws a few dozen leaves out each week.
    Paul

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok... So it won't grow well in 1.5w/g lightning?

I will try putting the root tabs underneath the sword, and I'll take a look at the DIY CO2 too!

I imagine they grow big, but if I could show you how mine is right now, you will be sad. It's really tiny and pale, doesn't even look like a sword.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! Thanks - Northernguy   you're a distinguished toad - gabbyguppy   

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion you should be fine with the lighting you have... like I said I am at 1.45 WPG and my swords grow fine. Is it like one bulb in your 10 gallon tank? Try planting your sword directly underneath it.

I dose fertilizers/root tabs and CO2 which makes a big difference. Investigate doing a DIY Co2 setup... its cheap and does the job pretty well or you can look into buying Fluorish Excel which is a carbon alternative for planted tanks. Its a bit pricey though.
    Last edited by CGY_Betta_Guy; 08-12-2010 at 06:35 AM.
    31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How do you trim amazon sword do you cut the leaves or the whole stem.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat   Thx again bud - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Check these tabs out. They are a pretty good deal. Cheeper than the ones at my LFS. They work great too. I havent been using them that long, but a friend of mine has been using them for a while. He has had very good results. I have noticed an improvement as well.

http://rootmedic.net/products-page/d...1-rm-complete/

They had a deal going for a wile 50 tabs for like $18 shipped. I dont know if that is still going on or not.
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community
    125g African Cichlid community