· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Angry treating tank with tetracycline?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm about to treat my whole tank with T.C. Tetracycline, but before I do this, I wanted to get some advice. I know it's going to kill all my beneficial bacteria, but if it will save my poor male guppy, I'll do it. Sorry this is long. I don't know how much information to give and I tend to run at the mouth at the keyboard. :)

I have a male guppy with a long fan-like tail that got nipped awhile back when I had too many males vs. females in the tank. The tail had or developed a dark, grayish tinge to the edge. He's mostly white/silverish with some little splashes of color. I didn't know what to make of this because as he matured he had developed different colors, so I watched the tail and it didn't seem to be getting worse and he seemed happy and healthy.

Now...less than a week ago, we moved into a new place and I took advantage of the opportunity to move my fish into a bigger tank, a 29 gallon. I think I did a good job with the move, by keeping all the same gravel, filter, etc. I checked the water levels and they have been good. All the fish appear happy and healthy, well except the male guppy I am referring to.

Today - ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10-15

In the past few weeks, even before our move, I have noticed that his tail looked darker on the bottom edge, like it's growing fungus or something. It also seems to be weighing him down. I should mention that I usually do a 30-50% WC every week, but was not as consistent during the horrible nausea of the first trimester of my pregnancy because everything made me want to gag, including the notion of fish tank water. During this time, my female guppy that had been always pregnant and giving birth, died. :(

After the move, my male guppy's tail seemed about the same except parts of his tail look like it's getting eaten away. And today, ever since this morning, the guppy himself is not acting happy. He was hovering near the surface in the morning and has been hovering near the bottom since about noon. This morning, I gave him a salt bath/dip but that hasn't seemed to have helped. I went to the LFS and was directed to API T.C. Tetracycline.

So...I can't afford to set up a hospital tank. (or can I afford NOT to?) Should I proceed with treating the tank?

Any advice is welcome. I'm relatively new to this and have never yet treated a tank or a fish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should mention that the tank consists of: 6 male guppies, 5 female guppies, and 4 young guppies of undetermined sex. Also, 6 panda corycats.

0 Not allowed!
    How is everyone else looking in the tank? Do they look sick?

If everyone else is fine and only he's having issues; then maybe it's just him. It seems to me like he may have weak genetics or is prone to issues as you mentioned that he was sick before as well.

I wouldn't want to dump in TC in a main tank if everyone else is healthy. This fish may just be on his way out.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    NEVER EVER USE AN ANTIBIOTIC IN A MAIN TANK. I can't stress that enough. An antibacterial will destroy the bacteria in your filter meaning your cycle will be destroyed.

Treat affected fish in separate containers, for goodness sake.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was afraid that would be the case. About an hour before I got a response on here, I went ahead and put the tetracycline in. With total dread in the pit of my stomach, I must add. I should pay more attention to my instincts. :(

I guess I'm just going to have to cycle the tank again when I'm done. The person who helped me at the LFS said I could buy some bb to add to the tank afterward to help my cycle get going.

I'm new at this and don't have a lot of extra $ most of the time, but because of this experience, I'm going to gather the supplies I need to have a hospital tank for next time. Little by little. I was just getting ready to add real plants, too. Once the antibiotics are out, will the plants help the cycling?

Thank you for your responses, though. I just had that feeling that if I didn't do something fast, he would die.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do hope your fish gets better and all manages to work out. I too feel gut wrenching dread if a fish gets sick.

As you already know now, antibiotics in the main tank are bad. I recently had to use tetracycline also and don't have a hospital tank. In order to individually treat the sick fish I had I set up a really large bucket with a small aquarium heater and an air-stone attached to a battery powered air pump. I did very gentle 30% water changes daily and calculated the appropriate med doses accordingly.
    If you don't have a dedicated hospital tank, the bucket set up can help for the temporary treatment of individual fish. This may or may not help for future things - getting the bits to create a hospital tank sounds is a really good plan. Just thought I'd throw that option out there for you too.

Best of luck with it!
    - 40 liter (10 gallon): black gravel, mopani wood, thin leaved java fern, java moss, and six very happy neon tetras
    - 5.7 gallon (21.7 litre) glass hex: currently empty and to be repaired (probably will become a hospital tank)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    PLEASE let me know how your treatment goes. Yesterday I treated my whole tank as well, now I'm starting to regret it. I wanted to save my molly that seemed to have tail rot. I don't want to kill my other fish in the process. Now my tank is an ugly orange color with buildup at the top!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Serena...this post is from 2010....sounds like you might need some help? Try a new post and I'm sure you'll get some great advice....