· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Default Brown in/Blue out ...tank redo

0 Not allowed!

Just re-did my tank. I now have 80 pounds of blue gravel I have no use for! Figured I may as well change out the gravel before the plants took hold.

I baked little Laterite balls until hard in the oven and jammed them down in the gravel. It worked great!

Big reflection from the TV shows but you get the drift.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, you have all that extra gravel, just get a new tank!

Looks good btw.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09   Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG   Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985   for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski   TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom   

0 Not allowed!
    WOW! I love that brown gravel! You tank looks great! I have that neon blue gravel too and I've been wondering what brown would look like since I have like 15 lbs of it unopened that the guy gave me when I bought my 10g.

I have some questions for you about how you went about changing out the gravel. What do you do with the fish while you're doing that? Do you have another tank you can put them in? It seems like you'd have to take out all the fish and break down the whole tank and re-cycle it. Is there another way to do it without doing that?
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   welcome to the club - Lady Hobbs   God!  Cut your hair!!!!!!!!! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Tanks looks good

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarloeysMom
    WOW! I love that brown gravel! You tank looks great! I have that neon blue gravel too and I've been wondering what brown would look like since I have like 15 lbs of it unopened that the guy gave me when I bought my 10g.

I have some questions for you about how you went about changing out the gravel. What do you do with the fish while you're doing that? Do you have another tank you can put them in? It seems like you'd have to take out all the fish and break down the whole tank and re-cycle it. Is there another way to do it without doing that?
    I took out all the plants first then half the water. Then the gravel. I didn't take the fish out as I had no place for them. Dumped the new gravel in, replanted and filled tank. With a larger tank, the toxics levels don't get as high as they will in a smaller tank but I will still have to keep on eye on it for ammonia levels.

First thing my neighbor lady said was ........"ohhhhh, I liked the blue gravel better." Go figure.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    that is really nice...was it hard to take out all the gravel and did it make a big mess? I am assuming that is your 55?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I use a small plastic bowl and put a strainer right in the tank. Fill the strainer and let most of the water drain off before I put it in something else. The little stuff left I get with the net.

I have all the used gravel in a big dry box but will take it outside to dry out well so it won't mold. I have $80 worth of the darned stuff so will have to use it for something. I may use it in a non-planted tank that I plan to get for some severums. The blue and green plants together just didn't look too hot to me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm buying breakfast - Lady Hobbs   gotta wash the burger down - Lady Hobbs   Prost! - alizee340   Now you can buy some band aids for you sajica wounds! - Drumachine09   This is a cat.  This is a hat.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Holla Mylady

Tank looks good. Real great start, and now let Mother Nature take over, it`l be a jungle pretty soon.

An idea to use the blue gravel.

A friend of mine, an aquarist thru and thru has a nice set up, he calls Atlantis.

I am going to ask him if I may use some of his pics, cause pics say more than 1000 words.
    Last edited by nanaglen2001; 06-12-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Andrea

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm buying breakfast - Lady Hobbs   gotta wash the burger down - Lady Hobbs   Prost! - alizee340   Now you can buy some band aids for you sajica wounds! - Drumachine09   This is a cat.  This is a hat.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   

Default Atlantis

0 Not allowed!
    Here it is, Atlantis...this tank is meant be really kitschig.

In it is the Akropolis and the Venus of Milo and some "antique" stones.

Citronella and Manni (the orange parrots) are so happy in this tank, they are spawning every 3 weeks or so

I was allowed to use this pic by Axel Wunsch, who ownes the Copyrights
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nanaglen2001; 06-12-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Andrea

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice set up! Some people are certainly more keen on decorating their tanks than I am. When I first set up the 55, I had a blue foil background and with the blue gravel, I loved it! The color really popped. The foil background made it almost impossible to take pictures of the tank with the flashback, tho.

I like black on black but you also have to consider the color of the fish. I'd never find my featherfins in black gravel. LOL

I will most likely have to use it in my next tank. It's just too expensive to throw out and replace.