· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbs

1. Default Barbs

0 Not allowed!
    What type of fish are barbs? Hiding? Swim around the tank? Are they top,bottom, or middle dwellers?
    I was looking at the barbs today at the pet store and I really like them. I have a 30 g and was thinking about doing 5-7 tiger barbs, 5-7 green tigers, 5-7 rose barbs or instead of one of those groups maybe a few tinfoil barbs.

0 Not allowed!
    Barbs should always be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6 so i am glad to see you interested in get a bunch of them. They are semi-aggressive and having them in a group will divert their aggression mainly towards their own species. My red glass barbs are literally all over the tank. I hope you meant only ONE of those groups in your 30 gallon. Barbs get about 3" and that is not including other tankmates in your 30 gal. Tinfoil barbs will not fit in anything less than a 55 MINIMUM being as they get about 10".

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger barbs are known fin nippers so, think twice before buying them.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Severus
    Barbs should always be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6 so i am glad to see you interested in get a bunch of them. They are semi-aggressive and having them in a group will divert their aggression mainly towards their own species. My red glass barbs are literally all over the tank. I hope you meant only ONE of those groups in your 30 gallon. Barbs get about 3" and that is not including other tankmates in your 30 gal. Tinfoil barbs will not fit in anything less than a 55 MINIMUM being as they get about 10".
    What do you mean other tank mates, what goes well with barbs?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 5 cherry barbs with a couple platys and a pleco. The cherry's are supposed to be the least aggressive of the barbs from what I've read and they are really pretty and fun to watch. Lots of people say variations on where they live in the tank but in general mine take to the whole mid-bottom and dart around having a good time.

I've included an attachment where I caught all five together being cute...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    I've wanted to get cherry barbs, but I only have an already stocked 5 gallon for tropical fish.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely do not get that many barbs. One group of tigers or one group of greens....no more. No tinfoil barbs in a 30g.

They can be semi-aggressive, and will nip slower moving fish with large fins. Keeping them in larger groups helps keep them busy, and un-interested in other fish...so that's a good idea. If you plan to stock with other fish, buy fast swimmers at least 2" in length...this way they have a chance

They are great, active fish...my tigers spend most of their time in the middle/lower area of the tank as well....they do feed from the surface along with my tetras.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski Drink up! - Drumachine09 For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09 For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985 
    good job - Lady Hobbs I am baking today and figured I'd share...thanks for helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** A thank you for adding me to your buddy list :) - *Sarah* for the inspiration, and the friend add :) - calla a cigar for you - Dave66 
    good quiz answer - Dave66 Thanks for being a friend! Cheers! - SkarloeysMom I think you need a book!! (It's a book about fish of course!) - 2manyfish i noticed i havent given you a gift yet! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 
    Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 Happy Birthday Friend! - SkarloeysMom Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas! - digital3 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish HIV/AIDS - tropfish Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - tropfish 

0 Not allowed!
    yea there good fish to have. MY tigers add alot of movement to the tank. I have them with buenos aires tetras and that works really well because they don't bother eachother at all. you could also keep them with gouramis and other tetras.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta

0 Not allowed!
    Mixing tiger barbs and gouramis isn't a good decision.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski Drink up! - Drumachine09 For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09 For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985 
    good job - Lady Hobbs I am baking today and figured I'd share...thanks for helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** A thank you for adding me to your buddy list :) - *Sarah* for the inspiration, and the friend add :) - calla a cigar for you - Dave66 
    good quiz answer - Dave66 Thanks for being a friend! Cheers! - SkarloeysMom I think you need a book!! (It's a book about fish of course!) - 2manyfish i noticed i havent given you a gift yet! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 
    Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 Happy Birthday Friend! - SkarloeysMom Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas! - digital3 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish HIV/AIDS - tropfish Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - tropfish 

0 Not allowed!
    well i justh ave one gourami and four barbs plus other. Theyve been together with no problems , i think because the honey gourami is 2 years old and fully grown that they don't bother it becuase their pretty small.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta