· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cool Just bought a new 14 gallon!

0 Not allowed!
    I was at PetCo today, and lo and behold, the same Aqueon 14g (20x10.5x16.5) that they had been using for an awesome planted tank demo was on sale for 50% off! I had been eyeing this tank for months. So I picked up the starter kit for less than 40 dollars, including a hood, light, thermometor, filter and a heater. The filter says it's for tanks up to ten gallons, so I'm wondering about that. I want to make this a planted tank and for stocking I'm thinking about one male betta and maybe 3 kuhli loaches, or one dwarf puffer (obv. not with the betta). I was thinking about scrapping my planted tank idea and using the new tank for my cray, but it looks like he's going to a friend's tank when it's done cycling.
    I need advice on making this a planted tank, though. Like what substrate should I use, and what kind of Co2 system should I be looking into? What plants?! Also, is the filter going to be adequate? If I have to buy another one I won't be that upset, I'll find a use for the filter that it came with eventually. I'm also up for different stocking suggestions but I think I like the betta idea, I've been dreaming of setting up a really great betta tank for a while now. I want it to be very natural as opposed to the neon color scheme of my 29g (not that there's anything wrong with it! ).

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of light is on it? That will determine what kinds of plants you can get.

I'd stay with low light plants, and plants that don't need CO2. Look into anubias and crypt species. Java moss and java fern are perfect for a low-light betta tank.

For stock, you could do the betta and a school of nano fish, like microrasbora, chili rasbora, and lots of small tetras. I have embers in my 10g and they look stunning in it. If you want to do the dwarf puffer, you could do 2, maybe even three in a 14 gallon, but just those guys. They don't mix with other fish at all. You could potentially keep them with otos, but I'm ont sure that a 14g would provide a school of them with enough algae.
    10g Community planted [java fern, anubias nana, crypts, vals]; male HMP betta [Carcharias], lophiobagrus catfish, blood-fin tetras, ember tetras
    Journal

3g Planted [java fern, crypt]; male delta tail red dragon [Asmodeus]

30g Planned African community with kribs, African Butterfly Fish and dither

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    About the lighting, I'm totally willing to invest in something more specialized for planted tanks. The hood it came with includes two 15 watt bulbs. I was actually thinking about getting a moon light as well...I really love those. I just need some advice on what I should be looking for as this is going to be my first fully planted tank.
    ------------------------------------
    29g w/ dwarf lily, anacharis, moss ball, banana plants, bamboo
    1 African butterfly fish, swordtails, 5 corys, BN pleco

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like a lot of people use EcoComplete for their planted tanks, but I just use regular sand substrate and root tabs. The type of lighting to want to invest in really determines what plants you can get.

I would use CFLs instead of incandecent, or just buy a whole new light fixture and go with florescent. It will be able to give you a lot more options on plants.
    10g Community planted [java fern, anubias nana, crypts, vals]; male HMP betta [Carcharias], lophiobagrus catfish, blood-fin tetras, ember tetras
    Journal

3g Planted [java fern, crypt]; male delta tail red dragon [Asmodeus]

30g Planned African community with kribs, African Butterfly Fish and dither

0 Not allowed!
    I actually took the doors off the hood and attached a strip light in that area and used the tank lights along with the strip light for awhile.

You got a very good deal. Enjoy!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys!

What is the best way to go about transferring media from my established tank?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcelina
    Thanks guys!

What is the best way to go about transferring media from my established tank?
    I always have multiple filters on my main tank so I just take the media out of the HOB, cut it if necessary while wet, and put it in the other filter. Basically you just move some whenever there is an ammonia source in the tank however you need to do it. Just make sure it doesn't dry and that there are fish or whatever already in the tank you're moving it to.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, I just bought an AquaClear 30 for the 14g, I'm planning on putting the filter the tank came with on my established 29g for extra filtration. That's fine, right?

Also, I'm still a little bit unsure of exactly how to cycle the new tank using my old filter media. Can I really cut a piece out? How much? What exactly do I do with that? About how long will it take before I can add stock? I read in a book that squeezing some of the water out of the old filter and into the new one can jump-start the cycle. I'd like to hear how you guys do it since I've never cycled a tank in that manner. Hopefully I'll be able to start getting it set up tomorrow!

Thanks!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Essentially, your filter cartridge has more bacteria than any other part of the tank, so you're putting part of it in to get tonnes of bacteria. If you leave the actual cartridge in fo a day, it almost instantly cycles because you introduced the bacteria that otherwise would have had to grow.
    10 gallon planted with betta
    55 gallon Malawi Cichlids
    120 with SA cichlids, Pleco and Pictus Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    you didn't cycle your cardboard box.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I ordered 20lbs of Eco Complete for the new tank...was wondering if that would be enough for a 14g...I know it might be a stretch but it's enough for a ten.