· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

Default Eco Complete Substrate question

0 Not allowed!
    I just put all my eco complete I bought today and the water is very cloudy. (Like can't even see the heater or filter pump) Is it going to dissapear after a few days?
    Also, is vacuuming the eco-complete harder because its more fine than regular colored gravel?
    And when I go to put the plants in my tank in a few weeks is it going to stir up and get all cloudy again when I bury the plants?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zackish
    I just put all my eco complete I bought today and the water is very cloudy. (Like can't even see the heater or filter pump) Is it going to dissapear after a few days?
    Also, is vacuuming the eco-complete harder because its more fine than regular colored gravel?
    And when I go to put the plants in my tank in a few weeks is it going to stir up and get all cloudy again when I bury the plants?
    Can you take a picture? Eco is one of the cleanest planting substrates available, and the debris should be out of the water from settling/filtration within 24 hours.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    vaccuuming with a planted tank is not the same as for a fresh water tank. i maybe on the extreme side but i didn't do my first vaccuum for a year and a half after the tank was set up. fast growing plants are a better way to remove organics in a planted aquaria the fish waste here is fertilizer

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbbudd
    vaccuuming with a planted tank is not the same as for a fresh water tank. i maybe on the extreme side but i didn't do my first vaccuum for a year and a half after the tank was set up. fast growing plants are a better way to remove organics in a planted aquaria the fish waste here is fertilizer

Can you reccommend some good plants then? I was going to get several in each corner and maybe some smaller stuff growing across the bottom in the middle. NOthing to crowded but definitely natural looking.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm also surprised you had so much clouding with the eco. It's claimed to be one of the better planting substracts and actually to help with the cycling.

I did read to add the liquid and all to a new tank but if adding to an established tank to dump the liquid off first.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I'm also surprised you had so much clouding with the eco. It's claimed to be one of the better planting substracts and actually to help with the cycling.

I did read to add the liquid and all to a new tank but if adding to an established tank to dump the liquid off first.

eh, we'll see what happens tomorow, it has already gotten better in half a day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Mine is a bit cloudy yet too but I expect a clear tank by morning.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    I have eco complete as well. I have noticed that when you vacume it that if you put the gravel vacuum down in the gravel you pick up all of the small grains of eco complete

To avoid this I never put the vacuum in the gravel. I vacuum like you would sand. I hold the vacuum about an inch or 2 above the gravel and swirl it to cause the mum to be transported up into the water column where I can easily vacuum it without picking up any of my precious eco-complete.

I Have not had any problems with my eco complete making the tank cloudy. I am not saying that you are not, but are you filling the tank with a plate or piece of tupperware underneath the flow of water into the tank to keep it from mixing up the gravel. I have never had a problem using this method.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog