· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Lazy Betta

0 Not allowed!
    I am worried about my betta, Wasabi. He's been laying down a lot lately. And by "a lot lately," I mean most of the time. There are no other visible symptoms. He is in a 2.5 gallon tank with gravel in the bottom. I have a 50 watt water heater in the tank that keeps it at about 76-78 degrees F. I also have a filter (Elite mini) that I keep on the lowest setting so that the water isn't too turbulent for him. I put drinking water in his tank (bottled reverse osmosis soft water), and use an additive to raise the pH to 7. I also add Atison's Betta SPA and a small pinch of aquarium salt. I feed him freeze dried blood worms (daily) as that's all I can get him to eat. (He is still eating regulary) When he started acting lethargic, it was recommended that I try putting an antibiotic in his water, which I did. I tried Lifegard All-in-one treatment and administered it as directed. It doesn't seem to have helped at all. I also took a sample of his water to Petco to have it tested and I was told that everything looked good. I really like my little betta and I don't like that he doesn't seem to feel well. Any suggestions on how to help him?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I never understood why bottled water is used.It usually causes problems.
    Regular tap water with some dechlorinator would be fine and cheaper.
    Playing with the ph with chemicals is also not recommended.A betta can handle most ph as long as it is not up and down,which is very hard on the fish.
    I would crank up the filter to full and add some melafix and aquarium salt.

How was the tank cycled?
    How much water do you change a week?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for your loss - lahlumdi   here you go - mommy1   Heres Your Clown Fish! (Happy Easter!) - EmmanuelJB   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - souly   

0 Not allowed!
    Also, how long have you had him for?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I also recommend to get yourself your own testkit: Freshwater MasterTestKit from API, rather than relying on the pet shop staff... unfortunately so many forum members already mentioned how unreliable the info one can get there can be....

4 Goldfish: Humphrey, Hepsiba, Skipy, Matilda
    5 Bettas: Barbarossa, Rex, Galileo, Napoleon, Maurice
    3 Adult BN's: Kate, Jack, John and their babies
    2 Corydora Sterbai: Cory and Dora
    2 Corydora Panda: Panda and Pamela
    3 Yoyo Loaches: Yoyo, Yoyo, Yoyo
    6 Glowlight Tetras
    9 Neon Tetras
    6 Rasboras
    Heaps of Platies and Guppies and their babies

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Aw, I'm sorry to see him like this...

I also just use tap water dechlorinated with Prime for my boys. As mentioned, the pH chemicals can end up causing a pH crash, which of course is not ideal.

A side note about Melafix, I would be careful with dosing, if in doubt, I would just use a slight underdose to be safe. Good luck, I hope he perks up soon.

It may be age, my Neptune just lay about all the time when he got older. Poor boy, keep a close eye on him, and keep us updated.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I went and bought some melafix today, so we'll give that a try. The reason I use bottled water is because the water in our city the water is so alkaline that it is literally off the charts of the pH test kit. I've only had Wasabi for about 6-7 months, but you never know how old the boys are when you buy them... Thanks for the suggestion. Hope this stuff works...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

lol, good luck helping that one... - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    try mixing up his food.
    Feed him a cooked pea, he could be constipated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for your loss - lahlumdi   here you go - mommy1   Heres Your Clown Fish! (Happy Easter!) - EmmanuelJB   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - souly   

0 Not allowed!
    He's still laying his side, but eats right? I'd try the pea trick, other than that I think it might be swim blatter...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I tried the Melafix as directed but nothing has changed. I gave him a pea (after not feeding him his worms for 2 days) but he won't eat it. I tried putting a mirror up to his tank which used to make him flare his fins, but he just swam away from it and then laid back down. :( Any other suggestions for dealing with constipation or swim bladder problems?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228   more people will come to your club if they see you have pie XD - genocidex   

0 Not allowed!
    I would do more water changes, my Bettas will both hang out on the bottom when the water quality is low. It happened a lot when I was cycling and learning everything, when I replace the water they seem to swim around a lot more. Based of my experience I would say your water quality is the problem or as mentioned he may be old.