· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default I rescued a green severum.

0 Not allowed!
    So went in to the local petco today just to browse. I always look at the tanks where people bring in fish they dont want and there he was. I have been wanting a green severum and found one who needed me. The only bad thing is hes only about 2in long and in rough shape. All his fins are ragged, I would guess someone had him with tiger barbs or something similar. Also being this small and in the shape hes in im afraid to put it in with my other sev that is about 4-5in. So I set up my 10gal to rehabilitate him. I hope all will go well since I wasnt planning on getting any new fish anytime soon I didnt have a tank set up to quaranteen. So I just filled it with water from my main tank and plan to do daily water changes. Even though I wasnt prepared I couldnt let this little guy stay where he was he needed someone who knew what they were doing to take care of him.

Ill try to snap a pic when he starts coming out again.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds great!
    Have you got a filter on that tank?
    It may be small but it is still a cichlid. They are heavy on the bioload.
    To cycle it fast just borrow some media from the big tank.
    Is there any other fish in the tank besides the sev.
    Once the fins heal I would try the two together.Just make sure the smaller sev has a place to hide.
    Mine has a thing for the abs cves that I have in there.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice of you to take him. I hope he does well for you. Lots of water changes will help heal him quickly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    Sounds great!
    Have you got a filter on that tank?
    It may be small but it is still a cichlid. They are heavy on the bioload.
    To cycle it fast just borrow some media from the big tank.
    Is there any other fish in the tank besides the sev.
    Once the fins heal I would try the two together.Just make sure the smaller sev has a place to hide.
    Mine has a thing for the abs cves that I have in there.
    Yeah I have a filter just a cheapo walmart one but it works, I think I may put the sponge filter I have in there too. And its alone in the 10 gal, I figured it would be better if he was alone. I was actually going to ask how soon I should put it in with my other sev.

And while hes healing should give me plenty of time to put together some abs caves for the lil guy to hide out.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rich311k
    Nice of you to take him. I hope he does well for you. Lots of water changes will help heal him quickly.
    Yeah I plan on daily water changes with doses of melafix for the first week.

I forgot to ask on my last post. What is the best way to seed the new tank with the main tanks media? Just put float it in there or squeeze some gunk out of the foam into the new filter?
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Stick a piece of media into the QT tank's filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A gift for a fellow SA cichlid lover! - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    if you have floss in there just trim some floss and put it in the new filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I had floss but I guess I took it out at some point so I just put the bag of ceramic rings in the tank, how long do I need to leave that in there?
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A gift for a fellow SA cichlid lover! - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    i would think leaving them in there for about a week or so WITH other media that you would leave in the filter permanently would prbably suffice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy halloween! - Tigerbarb   I hope you are feeling better - KingFisher   Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Happy Holidays! - fins_n_fur   

0 Not allowed!
    I hope you didnt put it in the tank? The bag of ceramic rings should go in the filter. I would leave it in there for atleast a month so the tank can start to build up its own beneficial bacteria.
    55g- blood parrots, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar