· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default Skiddish Severum

0 Not allowed!
    So my gold severum has become skiddish. This started a few months ago and I thought it would go away. Heres how it started. I live in a fairly small apt. and a while back me and one of my roommates got on a wii kick and played constantly. He was really bad about tapping on the glass and "picking on my fish" even when I asked him not to. Ever since then the only time my severum isnt hiding is when I feed him and even then if I make any quick movements he takes off and hides. Since my blood parrot died it has got better hes still really skiddish compared to before. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy halloween! - Tigerbarb   I hope you are feeling better - KingFisher   Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Happy Holidays! - fins_n_fur   

0 Not allowed!
    My blood parrots are stille really skittish too and I've had them for 2 years. I'm sure you have plenty of hiding places and such. Do you spend a lot of time around the tank? I don't spend as much time around the tank so I am atributing the lack of time around the tank to my fishes' skits.
    55g- blood parrots, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    I dont spend near as much time as before. I wondering if I stick around while feeding a lil longer if it would help. As for the hiding spaces I need to do better my tank is a lil bare now. After a bad case of ick I havent got everything put back together the way I want it.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Get the sev a mate and it may not be as skittish.
    Cut your room mates dam hands off!
    Bang on his head with a hammer as he tries to sleep.
    Drop in a shark infested waters with bait fish shoved deep into his clothing.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I have some really good hinding spots for my severums. This allows them to hide when they need to so they will feel safe. Amost like you or I going to our favorite room of our home to unwind from the stress of the day. When they get stressed, they go hide and then return after they are more relaxed.

I also put some dither fish in the tank (8 congo tetras). This really made them feel more comfortable and they are now spending about 50 to 75% of their time out in the open.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    Get the sev a mate and it may not be as skittish.
    Cut your room mates dam hands off!
    Bang on his head with a hammer as he tries to sleep.
    Drop in a shark infested waters with bait fish shoved deep into his clothing.
    I have another thread asking about what else to fill the tanks with Im debating about another sev or a couple angel fish.

As for the roommate hes gone now so I dont have to worry about it anymore.

I like the idea of some dither fish. Do u think it would be too much of a load if I had 2 sevs(or one sev and 2 angels), 2 rams and a school of tetra.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear your roomy is gone! lol
    I think if you have the right amount of filtration on your tank and you do the proper weekly maintenance you can get away with that stocking.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok thanks now i just have to decide between another sev or angel fish. Hmmm
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have one more question on this subject. What would be a good dither fish to go along with my Sev and a couple angels. I want something pretty small and inexpensive?

Also, Im pretty new to this dither fish idea but do they need to be a schooling fish or would mollies work cause my wife and I both like them better than most tetras.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Osco looks great! - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    This has ALWAYS worked for my skittish fish. Floating plants would work too. I just don't use real floaters because my tank has an overflow.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754563

I stick them in the sand and let them float over the main viewing area. Every skittish fish I have ever had has immediately become less skittish after floating plants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast