· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being my new buddy! - 2manyfish   A fishy for all the reef tank help : ) - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all the reef help! - NickFish   No Message - squirt_12   

Default Too much flow for a betta?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I set up a 2.5g mini-bow tank in my daughters room. I set the tank up with a ac20 HOB filter and some seeded media. When we got to the store, she ended up wanting a betta.

I have never kept a betta, so I was wondering if the setup I am using has too much flow for the fish. I have the ac20 turned down all the way.

Thanks in advance.
    40g SW

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Just a 'Thank you' penguin to a water treatment guy :-D. Clean water and sanitiation is a CORNERSTONE of modern civilization that people take for granted and don't think twice about & I felt that way about it before I had fish lol. Thanks to my HS Hi - 850R   because I LOL'ed at your single neon 90 gal show fish - ddavis1979   For the help on CO2 and plants - Greentoads41   Great looking tank you have! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    The best thing to do is to watch the betta's movements. Turn the filter off for a little while (enough to observe him swimming) and determine what is "normal" swimming for him. Then turn the filter on and watch if he gets pushed around by the flow or if he's acting abnormal in any ways. If he's having trouble, try to diffuse the flow a bit. I'm not familiar with the AC filters but on my tetra filter, I can just raise the intake tube to reduce the flow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy halloween! - Tigerbarb   I hope you are feeling better - KingFisher   Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Happy Holidays! - fins_n_fur   

0 Not allowed!
    When I had a betta, I also used an AC20. The fish was fine with the water flow. I often kept the impeller speed on the lower end since an AC20 is plenty of filtration for small tanks. Mine was on a 10g though. A 2.5 gallon with an AC20 might be overkill.
    55g- blood parrots, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being my new buddy! - 2manyfish   A fishy for all the reef tank help : ) - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all the reef help! - NickFish   No Message - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies...

I have an extra impeller, I think I will cut it down and see if that helps some. The betta looks like he is working a little too hard.
    40g SW

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What else is in the tank? lots of plants will cut up the flow and give the fish plenty of places to hang out.

And try putting some plants or structure right under the return flow. That will help a lot too.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for your loss - lahlumdi   here you go - mommy1   Heres Your Clown Fish! (Happy Easter!) - EmmanuelJB   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - souly   

0 Not allowed!
    You could also you make a diffuser out of a plastic bottle. Thats what I did for my Betta's filter. I used a cut up gattorade bottle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    An AC 20 sounds like way too much flow on a betta tank, even with a diffuser. I run an Azoo palm filter on my 2.5g and even turn down the flow on that for my betta. It's a great little filter and cheap, less than $10.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas! - Northernguy   Here ya go :) - Nick89   Thanks for the plants.  My CPD's thank you too! - Sir Tristen   And a pretty plant for you too! - Sir Tristen   

0 Not allowed!
    Gotta go with lab on this one. Maybe if you had stream fish in that tank, the 20 would be ok but for a betta it is way overkill. Since most (male) bettas have long fins they really just can't fight with too much current. If you can't find an Azoo Palm Filter (they're hard to find in my area) you can always go with a small internal filter or a sponge filter as well. Bettas don't have too big of a bioload and since he'll probably (should be) the only inhabitant, a small filter will work out fine for him.
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again for all the replies.

I trimmed two of the impeller blades off and it worked like a charm. Now there is just a slow trickle when the AC is set on low.
    40g SW

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas! - Northernguy   Here ya go :) - Nick89   Thanks for the plants.  My CPD's thank you too! - Sir Tristen   And a pretty plant for you too! - Sir Tristen   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coachfraley

I trimmed two of the impeller blades off and it worked like a charm. Now there is just a slow trickle when the AC is set on low.
    I had never heard of that solution before but it's definitely something good to know. I might have to do that to one of my own filters. glad it worked out :)
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers