· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

Default Salt Safe for Snales?

0 Not allowed!
    My 10g has 5 guppies and 4 mystry snales. The guppies all have a mild case of finrot, probably from the stress of a recent transportation. It will probably get better on its own, but I was wondering if it would be safe to add a small ammount of aquarium salt to the tank to facilitate healing? Primarily, I am concerned with the health of the snales.

It would be possible to isolate the fish for treatment, but impractical.

Also, APIs site says that mealfix is invert safe, but I don't want to do something as drastic as medication unless it seems like it is developing into a serious problem.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    i would say just use the melafix/pimafix combo. Melafix and pimafix are safe for almost all fish and can even be used on scaleless fish like clown loaches. Snails shouldnt be affected by it

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If you have Melafix on hand, you could dose the tank. I also find that doing frequent 25% PWC's (partial water changes) to improve water quality and chemistry is the best thing to solve finrot issues. After each 25% PWC, just add your daily melafix dose. Remember to remove the carbon from your filter.
    GoldLenny aka Lenny V.
    Fish Blog - http://GoldLenny.blogspot.com
    65G - Two 3"-4" Fancy Goldfish
    10G - Cherry Shrimp
    All tanks lightly to moderately planted. I moved in May '07, so I rehomed my 20G tropical tank and traded in my 10" pleco (L.Pardalis) since he was getting too big for my 65G - got $25.00 LFS credit :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Why do we read here so much to use a combination of Melafix and Primafix. Aren't they the same treatment pretty much? I wonder if it's necessary to double dose.

The fins will grow back just fine by doing weekly water changes. I use nothing unless absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-09-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    melafix and pimafix are supposedly mela for bacteria and pima for fungal. I dunno, i just use both when a fish isnt looking too sharp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldnt suggest using salt at all. Have you ever taken a snail from your back yard and put salt on it. Well if you havent they melt. IDK if it does the same to aquatic snails but I wouldnt try it unless I was trying to get rid of them.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    i did think of that analogy nautilus, but it didn't sway me much because the majority of snales on this earth are marine (salt water).

I think ill just try the water quality method. I am just a little nervous because I am about to go on vacation for 2 weeks. My mom has instructions to get some melafix if it gets worse, but I am just worried about being gone.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    you CAN use salt on invertabrates, including snails. Use the 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons as a good starting point. I have used salt on EVERY tank i have ever owned, include scaleless fish like clown loaches, tetras etc. My LFS uses salt in every tank and don't have any problems with it.

Just make sure that the salt does not Touch the snails in its whole form. Put your salt in a net and let it dissolve instead of just throwing spoonfuls in.

Good luck.
    55g, ex planted, custom VHO lighting w/ (4) 18" 30 watt bulbs
    dual pengiun 350's with filtermax prefilters and quad biowheels.

Stock: (2) 6" bala shark/tri color shark, (6) 1.5-2" Tiger barbs (green, albino and normal), (1) 10" Rhino Plec@, (1) 5" common sailfin plec@, (5) 4" clown loaches, 5" blue crayfish/lobster.

I have other Tanks also.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Mdsuave, make sure you pay attention to the dates at the upper left corner of the posts. He was looking for replies before he went on vacation, which was about 2 weeks ago. I learned the hard way, too.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    well cripes. My bad.. I figured that even if he didn't see it, maybe someone else could benefit from this info.
    55g, ex planted, custom VHO lighting w/ (4) 18" 30 watt bulbs
    dual pengiun 350's with filtermax prefilters and quad biowheels.

Stock: (2) 6" bala shark/tri color shark, (6) 1.5-2" Tiger barbs (green, albino and normal), (1) 10" Rhino Plec@, (1) 5" common sailfin plec@, (5) 4" clown loaches, 5" blue crayfish/lobster.

I have other Tanks also.