· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: duckweed?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default duckweed?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 16 gallon bowfront with a pair of firemouths and I also have a planted tank. I wanted to add to my 16 gallon some surface floating plants
    and I came across duckweed because of it's heartiness and it's ability to grow and reproduce under a wide range of temperatures and Ph levels. I also found out that duckweed (lemna minor) filters out many nutrients such and nitrogen, phosphates, and ammonia. Is there any reason to worry that my fish will not be getting the proper sustenance they need to be happy and healthy? That the duckweed will do more damage than good?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Your description of duckweed is pretty much correct in that it soaks up nutrients and reproduces in a wide range of conditions. It will not be harmful to your fish, but you may be begin feeling more than just psychic pain,

Duckweed is considered a weed by many as it's aforementioned ability to reproduce. Be forewarned that if you get this plant it will take over the top of your tank and is a pain to get rid of.

I personally just got an order of plants in the mail today that were contaminated with duckweed and it took me over an hour to pick out all the little pieces.

Frogbit is similar to duckweed but it does not reproduce as readily and could be an option.

Clicking here will take you to a web site that allows you to search for floating plants-go to plant type and select floating and hit go

I am not saying that you should not do this, I just want to caution you that many hobbiest have found this plant to be more of a curse than a blessing. The plant book I own even strongly recommends staying away from this plant.

I wish you good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being a champion =D - Full3R   you need a tang! - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, only use it if you know your fish enjoy eating it, becuase then they can help you keep it under control.

It's a curse becuase it's so damn fiddly and resilient. I was really glad when I finally eliminated it from my tank. Lots of net and tweezer work.

Apparently goldfish quite like it...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Pavlovski
    IMO, only use it if you know your fish enjoy eating it, becuase then they can help you keep it under control.

It's a curse becuase it's so damn fiddly and resilient. I was really glad when I finally eliminated it from my tank. Lots of net and tweezer work.

Apparently goldfish quite like it...
    goldfish will eat it all really quickly!
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    i put some in my 55 and took it out like 3 days later. it's more of a p.i.t.a. than it's worth. it'll end up in your filters clogging it up and just continues to snow ball from there. it does however come in handy for my little turtle, he likes the cover and he eats some of it.
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being a champion =D - Full3R   you need a tang! - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredulous_Ed
    goldfish will eat it all really quickly!
    I'd read that, but don't want to introduce it to my pond in case the fussy so-and-so's turn their noses up at it, then I have to try to get rid of it!!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    You could just keep at amount you want, by frequently removing some of it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Re:

0 Not allowed!
    I did see some pictures of duckweed that had taken over a river during a drought in Philidelphia and while playing disc golf today I noticed a small water hole covered in the crap. So it's safe to say I'm a bit worried about it doing the same to my tank. I do plan though, actually b/c I have already ordered a specimen, to just groom what I don't want out and hell maybe pick up a couple of goldfish. Once my firemouths grow into this 16 though I bet they become their food. But that's nature and the food chain at work. Thanks for the input.