· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the fry! - Brookfish   

Default Fish-Only Nano Tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Is it possible to keep a fish only nano tank (5-10 gallons) with minimal amount of live rock? And if so, what type of biological/mechanical filtration would be the best? There are a couple of internal power filters out there but I've read mixed reviews of them, like the Elite Stingray, Whisper 10i, and the Fluval 1 "plus".
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    A 5-10 will really limit your choice of fishes. What did you have in mind?

As for the liverock, is it because you don't want to buy them or is it because you don't want to see them in the main nano tank? If you don't want to see them, just do a DIY HOB refugium by using an AC filter and throw the rocks in there.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because... - alfcea   for starting a saltwater tank - cocoa_pleco   Tanks really coming together! - oldhead   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  :) - KrytterKrys   

0 Not allowed!
    The rock is the best filter you can buy, especially in a nano. The minimum you can get away with successfully 1 lb of rock per gallon of water. Fish only systems are not recommended as a first saltwater tank because they can be difficult to maintain parameters even in larger tanks, let alone a nano.

If its space your worrying about the rock doesn't take up too much space. Here is our newest project, a 10 gallon reef. There is 12 lbs or so of rock and it only takes up half the tank http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=65929

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Just a 'Thank you' penguin to a water treatment guy :-D. Clean water and sanitiation is a CORNERSTONE of modern civilization that people take for granted and don't think twice about & I felt that way about it before I had fish lol. Thanks to my HS Hi - 850R   because I LOL'ed at your single neon 90 gal show fish - ddavis1979   For the help on CO2 and plants - Greentoads41   Great looking tank you have! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Would you have room for a sump? I've got a 10g sump under my 10g display tank. I have some LR in both tanks (mainly in the DP) and chaeto in the sump as well. It might also help to have a protein skimmer in there. I've heard many people saying it's not necessary in a nano-tank but after making my own and seeing all the nasty crap being removed, I'd never want to run a SW tank of any size without it (and I don't even have any fish in there yet, just my CUC). With the added water volume and filtration, you'll have more options for fish ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure you would want to keep a fish-only tank that small? You would only be limited to one or two fish. It would be a lot more interesting for you, in my opinion, if you splurged and did a nano reef. But then again, I once kept a 20g fowlr system with only one fish in it, and I loved the tank. Go for it. Keep in mind, however, that the smaller your tank is, the more maintenance you will be required to perform.
    Last edited by Tigerbarb; 07-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I'm thinking about doing a 5-10 gallon nano with just a clownfish. Would 5 lbs in a 5 gallon or 10 lbs in a ten gallon be enough live rock to provide adequate filtration? If I used the Whisper 10i filter I could add some live rock rubble to the filter to add a little bit of live rock but I want to keep it to one big piece of rock in the tank. What do you guys think?
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being my new buddy! - 2manyfish   A fishy for all the reef tank help : ) - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all the reef help! - NickFish   No Message - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have 1 lb/gallon of rock, you should be fine. The benefits of keeping rubble in a hob filter are actually debatable. Some folks think that it just ends up collecting poop. I usually kept some in my fuge just in case I needed it for fragging purposes, but I doubt it did much for my overall filtration.

If you run an HOB, you could either turn it into a fuge with chaeto, or you could use the HOB to hold floss and carbon. Ideally, you would have an HOB for each function.
    40g SW

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for everyone's input! Hey funkman, you made your own skimmer for a nano tank? Do you have any info on a DIY nano skimmer? I've been looking around for instructions but haven't had any luck yet. I know AquaC makes a nano skimmer for 5-20 gallons but I'd rather make my own and save $100!
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

0 Not allowed!
    a 10lb piece of live rock will not offer the same amount of filtration as 10 1lb pieces of live rock. The surface are is far greater when using several smaller pieces. If you have your heart set on using only one piece, try to get the most pourus piece you can find.
    100g Reef