· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default gidday from Aotearoa!

0 Not allowed!
    First time setting up a freshwater tank and loving it so far.

Doing it for the kids (1 yr old and 4 yr old boys). I know that the boys will love the graceful and vivid colours and I'm already getting a great sense of satisfaction from the process of creating the living environment.

I seem to be lucky enough to have found a local supplier with good staff who give consistent, fair and reasonable advice - which is no doubt helping lots. That said - I'm quickly learning that opinions can vary significantly with regards which fish will co-exist happily!

The story so far:

Have a second-hand 200 litre tank - 120 cm long x 50 cm high x 36cm deep. Running a Power Whisper 3 filter (one bag of charcoal and have replaced the other with ammonia filtration bag) with a couple of Aqua One 300W heaters.

pH is 7.0 with 24-25 degrees celsius and 0ppm hardness. No nitrites, nitrates or ammonia.

Week one - just put in black substrait with some slates (for caves and hiding places) and a couple of plants.

Week two - put in 20 neon tetras. It took 3 days for them to acclimatise and come out from hiding behind rocks and I lost 5 in the process :o( Adding an extra 10 or so plants seemed to help them come out from hiding behind the slates. Now they're happily swimming around in the open and follow the contours of the tank-bed and rocks etc., ...

Have been told to leave the first water change until week 3 or 4.

Plan is to add about another 20 neons to get a nice shoaling effect and then add in Cichlids. Thinking about Bosemani Rainbows, Macculloch Red Rainbows, Blue Lacustris and Sunshine Peacocks.

Would like to add Kribensis and Siamese Fighter but think there may be trouble ahead ...

Planned to add in about 6 Angel Fish simply for their interaction (the way they happily follow your finger is ridiculously entertaining - I can't help it - it's the inner child in me!) but I understand that they're not quite so angelic after all and will probably eat the rest of the tank!!!

Need to add in some more stones and driftwood and think about decent lighting.

Will probably go with some Golden Bristlenose plecos to eat the algae.

I'm completely new to all of this so learning all the time and I expect the plans will change a few times ;o)

Will try to post some pics soon. Just thought I'd say 'gidday' and warn you ... there are lots of questions about to be posted!!! ;o)

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the fabulous AC!
    I suggest you read the ebook.It will be a great help to you.
    If you plan on cycling with fish then get yourself a good API liquid test kit for ammonia,nitrites and nitrates. Read the cycling with fish sticky as well.Follow it and you may not lose too many fish.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC!

0 Not allowed!
    I would not add any malawi cichlids to a community tank loaded with neons. That's asking for the neons to be slaughtered. If you're gonna do peacocks you'd be best off to do a peacock only tank. They wouldn't be my recommendation for someone's first tank, better to stick to a peaceful community tank.

6 angelfish in that size tank is way too many, and if a pair forms you're likely in for trouble. A lone angel may be ok, but in nature, angels dine on neons. Kribs wouldn't be a bad option, though I'd stick with a pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to Aquatic Community!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the AC!
    55 gallon - goldfish tank - 1 black moor (Teppic); 1 black & gold telescope eye (Angua); 1 panda butterfly tail (Twoflower)
    40 gallon - planted SE asian biotope - 12 harlequin rasbora (10 more in QT)
    5 gallon cube - currently empty; planned planted cherry shrimp setup

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For itís medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    to the AC...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

9. Default thanks for the warm welcome ;o)

0 Not allowed!
    Northernguy - got the API Test Kit before I filled the tank - after I added the Neon's the ammonia jumped up to about .20 so I swapped one of the charcoal filters in my Power Whisper 3 for an ammonia filter bag. Ammonia levels came straight back to 0 within a couple of hours. So I reckon the test kit pretty much paid for itself right there! ;o)

Lab_Rat - I thought the Sunshine Peacock was one of the non-aggressive cichlids? These fish are apparently 'unsexable' - what does that mean?

EmanuelJB - is that a Bosemani Rainbow in your avatar? Looks gorgeous ;o)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome!

Great idea setting up some tanks for your children...Aquariums can be a great way to spend time with your kids and have them take responsibility for taking care of fish.

And dont worry, I'm new to this hobby and have posted many questions and have had them all answered by numerous people on here....This is a great forum.

*40 Gallon Jebo TAnk
    *2 Blood Parrots
    *1 Jurupari
    *1 Tiger Lobster
    *1 Marble Veil Angel Fish
    *2 Frontosa