· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

Default Ranchu camouflage?

0 Not allowed!
    Since I was removing a fair amount of substrate, I decided to remove the ranchus so I wouldn't hurt them. I put a piece of broccoli in a clear bowl and then they came to take a bite I captured them. No net, no risk of any harm. I put them in a fish cooler (Styrofoam cooler) with 2 gallons of water, placing them in the dark.

When I reintroduced them into the aquarium a couple hours later, the black ranchu was completely silver in colour. Within 20 minutes he was black again... I didn't get a picture of it though, since the change occurred so quickly.

An AC member mentioned to me before that since it is a juvenile, that its colour would disappear in time. Is that what I witnessed, his future colour? Why did it change to silver and then back to black? Stress? camouflage?

Here is a pictured of him about 2 weeks ago:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    You say you used your hands? In that case it might be the slime coat, you remove some every time you touch the fish which is why its typically not recommended.

The net removes some as well, im sure, but there is no pressure involved so its somewhat lesser.

A while ago someone posted about a guy that picked his catfish up out of a tank, it later died (probably from the stress of handling or sickness caught thereafter) anyway, he mounted it. After the fish dried out you could see the imprint of the guys hand on the fish, where he had removed a good deal of the slime coat. It comes to mind in this situation for me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    No no no, sorry, I must have not written that wrong.

I was using a clear bowl, dipped sideways into the tank with a piece of broccoli in it. When they went in, I tilted the bowl up, capturing them. That way no net or anything touched them.

I transferred them into the cooler the same way, putting the bowl in, then tilting it while in the water to let them out. I don't know if this is clearer...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Much clearer. From the first post It sounded like you used your hand rather than a net. Thats pretty clever with the bowl.

Losing color in times of stress is more than typical, since you removed the fish so gently I would guess its just stressing from the move. As long as he has returned to his former glory shortly after, I wouldnt worry about it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I guess he didn't like the cooler... I thought it had enough water and he was in the dark.

Well, he got his colour back so quickly, that he must be happy again. I thought it might be camouflage, since the cooler is white, and the substrate is black. Hehe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In a sense, thats exactly what it is. I believe they lose their color in times of stress because that makes them less of a target.

But yes, if the color comes right back thats perfectly normal for being moved.