· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default how hard are they to keep?

0 Not allowed!
    I was looking for pets to keep in small tanks and came across Dwarf seahorses they are so cute and i would love to keep them but I wanna make sure i can do it before i even buy their tank so could i have a list of supplies and maybe a step by step set up guide ... any information is greatly appreciated :)

0 Not allowed!
    Not a chance. You already have an inappropriately stocked freshwater tank. Deal with what you have first.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    http://badmanstropicalfish.com/seahorse/seahorse.html

Here's a bit about them. Of course they are saltwater so you'd need to learn how to have a saltwater tank and corals. Appears that feeding them is a huge challange and they only eat live blood worms.

Definately a challenge I believe for even those most advanced.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I cant keep a saltwater with seahorses in college anyway I was looking for future reference for when i get my own place and some money. And my goldfish are fine for now people treat animals MUCH worse than i'm treating these little guys they have everything they need and are not being eaten by something stop acting like i have a footlong turtle in a ten gallon. Yeah I know things could be better for them but i'm doing my best

PLUS I'm doing research on a pet before considering it. I'm good with mammals so I'm probably getting a guinea pig or dog not more fish. Does that sound good? im building a 12 foot cage for a guinea pig when i get my own place. I'm not a bad pet owner at all. So please stop treating me like i'm the cruelest and worst pet owner ever.

I've taken everyones advice i just CAN NOT get a bigger tank right now but after college or as soon as they get big enough I will move them to a suitable Koi pond or my forty gallon

5. Default seahorses?

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think its possible for a beginner to keep dwarf seahorses? And how expensive would it be? Also give me a list of what I will need please. I'm in love with the little guys and wanna see what i'd need to take care of them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know much about dwarf seahorses... But we would like to have soon a saltwater tank with seahorses and one of the things that come out is the difficulty to feed them correctly.
    They need copepodes, and other little critters like that, and, apparently it's not that easy to have a stable copepods population. So, I think that is the real problem with Seahorses, dragonnet and other fish like that.
    And for the little I've read about it, saltwater seems not that easy at large...
    Hopefully someone is going to come after me and help you much more than me!!! ;o)
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks :) and i was thinking about doing brine shrimp as food :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is a little article here at AC

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/sw/seahorseaquarium.php

There is lots online about these fish. All I see that is special is that they really only eat live food, so you will likely have to have another tank to raise food.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wow harsh ... I def dont wanna breed them. the thing is I know NOTHING about saltwater aquariums.

thats the main thing i need help with is establishing a saltwater tank.

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read, they can be challenging for a experienced marine aquarist to keep, let alone a beginner. I would start doing my own research, and a lot of it, before proceeding, and not necessarily internet research, but by reading books (using the library). If you don't have any or much s/w experience, then one book to start with is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner. Very well written book, IMO, although I have no s/w experience myself. You might try this article written by one of our members, to get you thinking.
    Last edited by fins_n_fur; 07-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast