· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

this is well deserved, stop wasting people's time - Lab_Rat   No Message - korith   And here is a special aquatic gift just for you ... - mermaidwannabe   In the direction of anywhere else but here - smaug   

Default how long will they live?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I bought two goldfish ( without doing research which isnt like me but ... yeah) and i now have them in a ten gallon and they need thirty gallons for the two of them. I cant rehome them since the only people i know who have ponds have natural ponds and you cant add new species. And I do have a fourty gallon aquarium but I cant set it up due to dorm regulations.

SO my question is How long will they live if they are kept in a ten gallon there whole lives?

Yes I know this seems cruel but I am just curious

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Incredibly cruel and they need more than a 30 gallon tank. You will need to perform I would say 75% water changes weekly to even keep up with the bioload. Bad situation and inhumane for the fish.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    That's next to impossible to answer.

All goldfish have the potential to reach 30-40 years, given good genetics and ideal conditions.

If you do lots of water changes, that will help. If you get them a bigger tank - that will help.

Are you proposing to live in a dorm forever? LOL...if you're lucky, you might get by keeping them in a small tank until you're done studies (I'm assuming 2-4 years depending on what you're taking).

Personally, I would rehome them...or if you plan to keep them do water changes 2-3X a week (and test your water of course)...and get them into a larger tank as soon as you're able to. Get a larger filter too...that will help a bit. Don't overfeed.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    Incredibly cruel and they need more than a 30 gallon tank. You will need to perform I would say 75% water changes weekly to even keep up with the bioload. Bad situation and inhumane for the fish.

Well, definately not ideal...and a 30 g would do fine for several years for 2 fish. Goldies don't grow all that fast...

Way back when...I kept 3 in a 5g for about 5 years and they were healthy. They died because a new fish I bought had ich...THEN they all died...not because the tank was too small. I wouldn't do it again...but if was able to keep 3 in a 5 g for years, you can keep 2 in a 10 g for a while as well...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

this is well deserved, stop wasting people's time - Lab_Rat   No Message - korith   And here is a special aquatic gift just for you ... - mermaidwannabe   In the direction of anywhere else but here - smaug   

0 Not allowed!
    No i'm not living in a dorm forever lol and it should take about five years( very difficult major and minor) . and when i move I wanna get a pond for my babies and a couple RES. So thats why no other tank. but the question is will they be able to live four years in the tank and then be moved? I dont have anywhere to rehome them right now plus they are too tiny.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    It will require very good tank keeping from you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

how about a pair of blue rams - Lady Hobbs   enjoy your tank - Lady Hobbs   There were no dogs, so this'll have to do - jaysee   Well done! - Northernguy   Good job on the cycle - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Petco has a dollar a gallon sale. Maybe buying a 20 gallon would help quite a bit for a couple of years. That would double the space for them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I think just saying goldfish without saying the species of goldies is confusing to really give a fair answer. Goldfish can grow from 4 inches up to a 12" depending on the species.

But my philosophy is always the same when keeping fish or any animal, for that matter. Are we keeping them in the manner that is really the best for them or keeping them from living as they should just because we love them and don't want to part with them?

As far as knowing how long anything we have will live, no one can ever guess at that. Sometimes we give them the best of everything and they still die for unknown reasons.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Their is only one species of goldfish, Carassius auratus.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Ellirianna,

hope your 2 goldfish will be fine for a while, give them good filtration and perform waterchanges and test the water as already advised.
    What happened with your 2 female guppies?