· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: question

1. Default question

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I have not been on in a while dealing with some issues at home so..... the other day I was doing a water change, I have a syphon to take water out of the tank, but to get water back in the tank I have to use a cup because the syphon doesn't work (dang laws of physics) so I have put some simple thought into a pump system and found a cheap pump, the aquavia va50, but I do not know if it will pump the height needed about 4 feet up but using thin air line tube. I am just really tired of using a cup to move 12 gallons of water.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The amount of pump pressure for that amount of head youll need an average of 2200 l/ph.

Siphoning through a 5mm airline simply wont work as that amount of pressure will simply blow the airline out. Whay your thinking of is a dosing pump which pumps out through a 5mm airline runs at 36ltrs per hour max at no head.

What you need to do is use a pump like and eheim 1060 running 42mm pond hosing from your topup water, and 22mm hosing to your tank. This will give you the sufficient pressure at a 4meter head.

I know this as i pump a 3mtr head using this pump from my sump to my tank so this really is youe best idea.

28g Ornate Seahorse Reef (Planning stage)
    42g Warty Frogfish Species Tank (Planning stage)
    125g Pacific Reef Setup (Underway)
    32g Planted Freshwater Community (Underway)

0 Not allowed!
    I use a maxijet 1200 for water changes with 1/2 inch tubing. Our sump and mix bucket are on the floor so we can't siphon. We change 8 to 10 gallons a week and it takes less then 4 minutes to drain and fill with a mj1200

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh this sounds like such a good idea cuz I too use a cup (as my husband laughs at me with my little cup). I wish I was more handy and understood how to build things like this. Good luck to you

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its not difficult, simply use an external pump to pump the water from the bucket to the tank. If the pump wont fit into the bucket (mine don't) use a length of an appropriate size pipe for the intake and feed that from your bucket...

28g Ornate Seahorse Reef (Planning stage)
    42g Warty Frogfish Species Tank (Planning stage)
    125g Pacific Reef Setup (Underway)
    32g Planted Freshwater Community (Underway)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only reason I was thinking about it was because I could buy that small pump for $5.00 shipped. I am not gonna spend more than a few dollars to be lazy lol. I will just stick to my cup method. when I decide to add on a sump I will just syphon it in.

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, how long does it take for you to go scoop by scoop for 12 gallons? Maybe get something bigger to scoop with if you don't want to use a pump yet?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.