· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Pond Fish at top of pond breathing

0 Not allowed!
    Why are my goldfish coming to the top of the pond and sticking their heads out as if they are trying to get air?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    They're either hungry or lacking oxygen.

How often do you feed them? How much?

What's the temperature? How long have they been in the pond? Do you aerate (waterfall or surface agitation)?
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    I am not sure where you are located, but goldfish are coolwater fish. There is less oxygen in warm water. So, if your pond is like mine, it is very warm right now, and has less oxygen than in say, spring or fall.

You could perhaps run an airstone- but it would have to be pretty big/powerful for that to make much difference.

Do you have a waterfall or a fountain? Surface agitation helps the oxygen exhange at the surface.

If it is direct sun, covering it may help-providing a bit of shade so the water doesn't get so warm.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks - I live in Eastern PA and last week it was over 100 degrees for several days.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    You could try draining some of the water and refilling it with cool water from the hose, if thats an option....

Don't forget the dechlor and don't do too much at once, don't wanna send em into shock.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    We had a couple days like that here, I took the hose, put it on a shower setting and let some run into the pond. I added some dechlor. My situation may be unique, because my tap water contains very low chlorine and chloramines. So, i find if I run the water thru the shower setting most of it evaporates and I need very little, if any, dechlorinator. I still add anyways most times just in case.

You could maybe try some frozen water packs- like frozen filled waterbottles, but you may need several hundred to make much of a difference!
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    The heat will not affect a properly set up pond.It needs proper water movement and shade.Your pond is experiancing a lack of aeration.How big is it,what size pump is running ,what filtration and how many fish?