· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default kalkwasser vs calcium reactor..

0 Not allowed!
    thinking of running a kalkwasser topoff system through the night in place of my normal r/o topoff system, but also was looking at a calcium reactor.

Now the kalk setup would be significantly cheaper as ill only use deltec equipment for the cr system, but from what I can see and read, they pretty much do the same thing. The only difference is cost, and the only thing id buy would be a ph monitor and controller for the kalk system as ive got the rest of the equipment. ( do you specifically need a stirrer?)

Can you connect a ph controller to a kalk system? Do you need to?
    What are the benefits of each?
    Setup, what are the best practices...

Id like specifics and opinions on these please as this is a serious decision for me. Personally, im for the kalk system as im not an advocate of co2 in any aquariums containing fish.

Cheers kai

28g Ornate Seahorse Reef (Planning stage)
    42g Warty Frogfish Species Tank (Planning stage)
    125g Pacific Reef Setup (Underway)
    32g Planted Freshwater Community (Underway)

0 Not allowed!
    I personally like the Kalk system myself. I have nothing against Ca reactors, but the nice advantage of the Kalk system is that it doesn't deliver just calcium to your system, there are a whole host of other elements that are included in most Kalk mixes today. I don't know if they are available over in the UK, but the Brightwell line of products contains 2 different Kalk powders, and both are excellent sources of necessary elements for your tank. My LFS has several accounts they maintain, and a number of them use the Brightwell Kalk mixes with great success.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cheers. We do get brightwell aquatic supps as i do use them. Ive been using their phytogreens and have now colonial tunicates growing!!!

Kalk it is then.. It will be significantly cheaper as all i'll have to do is change the topoff system to kalk, time it to night tops only and ive got it....

Cheers kai

4. Default another question...

0 Not allowed!
    if you use kalkwasser, would you dose additional calcium & magnesium or will the kalk mix be enough to provide enough mg and ca?

0 Not allowed!
    Most people who drip Kalk do not need to add 2 part. If your Kalk mix contains Mg then you don't need to dose it.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the brightwell aquatics kalk mix that im looking at contains magnesium, strontium and calcium which are the three things that I dose weekly so the kalk dosing system will not actually cost me anything to setup, and will save me money in the long run!!! Cool... The missus will be happy!!!

What kind of drip dose should I be looking at for my 125g reef assuming I decide to drip feed kalkwasser constantly? Or should i just use the topoff system to dose automatically when needed. But therein, ive been researching that larger bulk dosing is not recommended....

Also, water changes. Would you use kalkwasser or just normal saline mixed r/o?

Cheers

Kai

0 Not allowed!
    I drip it at a steady rate. The slow drip will give the organisms a chance to adapt to any change in hardness or pH that may occur from dripping it. Some people only drip it one day a week while others drip it more frequently. It's not something that you need to have dripping 24/7 though. You definitely won't need it on the days you do water changes, your salt mix should take care of all the levels your Kalk would.

0 Not allowed!
    I would avoid using it in a top off, if your float ever stuck on it would be a disaster. Keep in mind if your using media like carib sea arm in a calcium reactor, it will also add all the elements you need, including calcium, alk, and magnesium. Most people locally do a combination of calcium reactor and kalk. They drip the kalk at night to combat the ph loss from the use of co2 in the calcium reactor. I've been told by members in my local reef club that kalk is great if you have a low demand, but it doesn't keep up too well in larger tanks with higher demand

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is a heavily stocked ( or will be....) lps reef with a good amount of livestock.

Dont really want to run a calcium reactor and dosing supplements is unstable in my opinion.

So if I drip kalkwasser 3 times weekly over night, topoff using r/o, how much should I drip to maintain levels in the night?

0 Not allowed!
    Your going to have to play around with that. It varries on what your tank needs. I would start mixing the kalk at 1/2 tsp per gallon of ro and drip at 1 drip per second. See how your levels are after a few nights and change accordingly. Keep in mind ro water will only take 2 tsp of kalk max per gallon before its saturated. There's a way around that involving vinegar but I've never tried it.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump