· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I’ve read posts were people have: completed a very good cleaning of everything in the tank, did a very large water change (80% or so, can’t remember exactly), followed by blocking almost all light from the tank for 24 to 36 hours. They claim that got ride of the algae. I’ve never tried that as I was worried about my plants and that the algae might just come back again.

I just used the steps I described earlier in this thread and that worked for my tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   for ur new tank - Neon   Sorry to hear of your loss. - VoidParadigm   I like your pleco pics!! - gabbyguppy   1000 posts! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it is cyanobacteria. How do I get rid of it?? I don't want to dose it with an anti-biotic, since it will kill the benificial bacteria! PLEASE HELP!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   for ur new tank - Neon   Sorry to hear of your loss. - VoidParadigm   I like your pleco pics!! - gabbyguppy   1000 posts! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Lady Hobbs, but I already read that artical, and have tried that. I have been leaving my lights on 12+ hours, plus I have been opening my shades allowing extra light in.

I was reading somthing that said to completly black out the tank for a couple days, with NO light at all, and no feedings... How does this sound:

Tuesday I will feed the fish, than do a Huge (50-80%) water change. The next day completly cover the tanks allowing no light in, and no feeding for a couple of days (how long??)....

So how does that sound?? After this week if I dont get results Im going to throw erythromycin in all of my freshwater tanks, as it has pretty much spread to all of them.
    Last edited by EmmanuelJB; 07-12-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I used the erythromycin....nothing else worked for me. It did not kill my bacteria and I did not lose even one fish although one of my guppies was laying on the gravel after every dose...but he is fine now...maybe he did not like it but it sure did not kill him. I hope something better works for you but if nothing else does you can try the meds as a last resort. Good luck cuz that stuff is soooo stinky!!!! (it stunk so bad my husband wanted me to get rid of the tank)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Did I read no plants are in the tank? Why not remove the decorations and wood, srub them up good, do a couple really good water changes then drop those lights down to only 10 hours a day? I've never had the stuff before so really don't know the secret with this stuff but in Daves articles it says Cyano is not really an algae at all and to increase lights but to me, if 12 hours is giving a problem, how about reduction?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @ Lady Hobbs
    Since keeping the lights on didn't work, I shut the shades and have now down to 6 hours a day with the shades closed. Still has done nothing!

Also a couple weeks ago (When I thought it was just plain old algae) I did take all of the decorations out and scrubbed them really good, and the cyano took over my tank again a couple days later... (It was impossible to get every bit of the stuff)...

So do you think the black out will work?

EDIT: Thanks, but I have read the fishlore artical already. (: (I have done tons of reading on cyano)...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be curious to see what your phosphates levels are. If you could eliminate phosphates perhaps you could starve it off. Sorry you're having this problem and it really isn't very good for fish, either.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think I may have an old seachem phosphate, tester somwhere. I will see if I can find it in a little bit...