· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

warning. this user will ignore good advice at every chance - smaug   

Default Eclipse 3 or Fluval 205 ?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all
    My 29galon with Eclipse3 hub set up about 1 1/2 with DIY co2.
    My fish tank has some live plant and 6 lucky bamboo
    My convict has baby fish.
    the system working fine.
    I would like to know between Eclipse3 hub and fluval 205 which one is better.
    can I use all 2 of them in my fish tank?

Also My friend give me his 5 month old fluval 205 it has 3 media box.
    1 media box 2 bag of carbon
    2 and 3 media box he use biomax.

Is that the right way media tray setup fluval 205?

Do I need you replace 2 bag of carbon?
    My friend was use it with turtle.

thank you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy   Good job with your filter - Cliff   No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers   Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228   
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380   

0 Not allowed!
    I like the fluvals. I have a fluval 405 and they take time to get used to but work great. I don't even use carbon. With baby fish I would use carbon though. Instead of using 2 levels of biomax I would do one level biomax and the other ammonia remover. Ammonia remover works well for me.
    26 gallon- 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Rummy-nose Tetras
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank You
    I can not use all 2 filter, fluval and eclipse3 right?
    can I use all 3 media box with biomax?
    what is Amonia remove for?
    at the first media box if i not use carbon can I replace it with Filter wool.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy   Good job with your filter - Cliff   No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers   Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228   
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380   

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure if you can use both filters. One should be fine though. My fluval 405 filters an 80 gallon on it's own and I've had no problems. I wouldn't use all three boxes for biomax if I were you. Ammonia Remover removes a lot of your ammonia (fish waste). Yes you can use filter wool on the top level. I do and my fish are happy and my water tests are almost always good.
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank You
    Now
    bottom layer is BioMax
    Middle layer is Amonia remove
    the top layer is Filter Wool.

Is tha Right?

Just dump Amonia remove into the second tray or I have to buy the filter bag for Amonia remove?

I see carbon came with Fluval 205 it in the bag.

Sorry this is my first fish tank and first external fluval filter, I have to many question.

How long I need to clean my Fluval 205?
    How long I need to replace BioMax?
    How long I need to replace Ammonia Remove?

Thank You
    Last edited by born2blove; 07-11-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion, once the biomax rings are established with beneficial bacteria (BB), they will be better at removing the ammonia than the ammonia removing filter media. At least that’s been my experience.

I have all of my canister filters filled with nothing but biomax rings and I would suggest the same for anyone. If you want to use filter floss, place that in the top tray.

If you choose to switch to the fluval 205, run both filters ( the 205 and your current one) at the same time for about 5 or 6 week. This will give the new filter media time to build up enough BB to support your fish.

Check you filter once per month. If the filter media looks clogged, rinse it out in used tank water. Just remove the trays one at a time and place them in a bucket of tank water and slosh them around for a while. NEVR clean it using water from your tap. The chlorine in the tap water will kill all the bacteria in your filter. Practically all the bacteria you need to support your fish is in your filter media.

I hope I've helped
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for your feedback - Cliff   thanks! - Crispy   Can't give you more rep, so here's a gift for your great contributions to the forum. - Taurus   Thanks for the kind words and also the help. - ohmikeosh   Have another fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You can use both filters on your tank, but try to keep the inflow from the fluval away from the outflow from the other filter, no need to filter water that just came out of the other filter! Also, if you want to use carbon in the fluval you should put it AFTER the ceramic media - carbon extracts chemicals and odors from the water and is usually the last stage in a filter - unless you are using polishing media in which case the polishing media is last. I would suggest using a sponge in the stage before the ceramic - the sponge removes debris. Ceramic media is designed to maximize the bacteria colonies that remove ammonia and nitrite, it is not particularly effective at removing debris, and besides, you don't want debris clogging the micro spaces in the ceramic media - that's where the bacteria want to set up shop! A sponge first then ceramic will give you better water clarity. Media like carbon, peat, polishing pads etc. are designed to do specific tasks, you can have excellent chemistry without them but if you have a specific job that you need done, like you want clearer water, or softer or harder water, or you have a bad smell in your tank, then you use media that is designed for that specific job. That's where having more than one filter on a tank is really nice - you can use one for the specific job and the other for the basic work.
    Why do people always scream when I'm driving?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good point. It does really depent on the tank environment. If you did do what I said middle should be biomax and bottom ammonia remover. Cliff has a good point too. If you have quite few fish (tank is stocked) I think you should use ammonia remover, but if not or ammonia is always low don't use it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff gave a great answer. Use all trays but the top tray in your 205 for ceramic biomedia. Fill the top tray with floss. A healthy biofilter will consume more ammonia than zeolite (ammonia remover) and you don't have to replace the biomedia.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for your feedback - Cliff   thanks! - Crispy   Can't give you more rep, so here's a gift for your great contributions to the forum. - Taurus   Thanks for the kind words and also the help. - ohmikeosh   Have another fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Pleco380 - what brand ammonia remover do you use? I've been thinking of using some to help offset the bacteria loss after I rinse the sponges in my cans, but I've never used it before. Fluval has some, but I don't want to pay the premium price. Is there much difference in quality from one brand to another?
    Why do people always scream when I'm driving?