· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What ARE these?

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

Default What ARE these?

0 Not allowed!
    They look like budding snails, but they are rock hard when I scrape them off and don't seem to have a snail inside?
    I find them occasionally, in differing sizes. This one is the biggest yet. The calendar square it is on (for scale) is 3.5cm square. The second pic is as its seen from the top, and the first pic is the flat bottom where it was attached to the glass.

Are these baby snails or some other type of growth?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sheamurai; 07-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    That's a snail. See the little swirls in his shell.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, I saw the swirls, but why don't I see any critter inside? When I scrape them off, they are rock hard, no "hole" inside the shell, no soft slug inside? Do they only develop a "body" after a certain amount of time?

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like the "door" of a larger snail. Have you had any mexican turbos die recently?

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    I have plenty of those. they are dead parts of a snail. I dont know much about them but i always keep them cause they look cool lol.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like an operculum of a larger snail?
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    @Lab - not that I've noticed, but its hard to tell. I've only four of them, and they are never all visible at the same time. I used to be able to tell them apart when I bought them, but now they are covered in coraline so they look the same. Also, I bought shells for the hermits so I can't tell by any empty shells laying around.
    Like I mentioned tho, I've found different sizes of them - one really small that would be smaller than any of my current snails?

@Amazon and Lab - If my snails are dying, should I be worried? They are not that old, but I would have thought my shrimp would fail first if I had a problem with my tank?

@ gm - googling operculum...

Going to see how many turbos I can spot right now...I should have 4...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well, for once, all four of them were visible. Two were actively moving, and two when I jostled them wiggled, but I was unable to flip them over, and I didn't want to hurt their feet so I didn't force them. So I didn't lose any snails so far. Do snails shed their operculum as they grow? I found a reference to apple snails, and the whorls are caused by growth, so it would seem not...still reseaching...

Sigh...maybe I had five snails, lol..

edit: actually, I just remember that I am finding these things stuck to the sides of the tank high up in the corners - doesn't seem likely then that they are dying, if that was the case I would find them lying on the substrate, no?
    Last edited by sheamurai; 07-11-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm reading now that they may be more sensitive to temperature fluctuations. My tank temp has spiked to 85 with this heat wave, for a couple days - perhaps what I am seeing is a slow die off - losing the operculum may be just the first stage. ??
    We'll see tomorrow I guess if the 2 non movers are still kicking...

0 Not allowed!
    That could be your source. The heat change can be hard on some snails. i wouldnt worry about it. A dead snail here and there is a common sight.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast