· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default how to setup tank on non-level floor?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all -

I'm in the process of setting up a new tank, which I'm pretty excited about as it's my first in a long, long time.

I am waiting for everything to arrive at my local store, but the basic set up with be an Aqueon 54g corner tank with matching stand/cover, a Fluval 305 and Hydor 300w internal filter, Flourate substrate. This will be a freshwater, planted tank.

My question is this: I did some analysis to make sure that this won't be too heavy on my floor- built in 1890 this house is a little tricky. The floor joists are in good shape and there's a supporting wall right next to the tank (although a heavy refrigerator is on the other side) so it should be just fine with 600 pounds on aquarium on it.

I did realize, however, that the floor isn't quite level in that spot. There is hardwood flooring there, and it's quite smooth/sanded and in good shape, just not completely level. I understand that the tanks don't always need to be 100% level, but this floor seems slightly too slanted for my comfort level - also I think there could be a slight visual affect and I want to keep it looking clean.

So, HOW DO I LEVEL this aquarium??? I am pretty handy but I'm not sure how to approach this. Any tips much appreciated!!

thanks everyone, Dave

0 Not allowed!
    If it is coming with a stand, it should be a simple matter of putting a level on the stand before the tank is on it. Shim it up as needed then place your tank.
    How much do you think it is out, it should not be too bad in a corner.

I once thought I was Brave, but I can't stop crying. "Kendal Payne"
    Tanks
    135g. 6' -"currently"under reno. to river tank for 12-L204 Panaques and 12 Cory Sterbai
    135g. DIY 48"X28"X24"- 1/2" glass. 7-wild L046Hypancistrus zebra
    65g.- 7 [B]wild[/B]L066 Hypancistrus King tigers 6 - 30g. fry tanks
    BE responsable!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Seems simple enough, but this things is pretty heavy so I'm concerned that a simple shim could slip or crush. I have wooden shims (i.e. for drywalling, etc.) and some plastic shims for toilets, etc..

The shims are pointy, though, so I'm concerned that there could wind up being 2 or 3 hundred pounds on half a sq. inch of shim. I think I'm going to consider something more permanent, like making a small wood extension to one or more legs of the stand, but that seems like a pain, too.

Since the floor is so old, I am also considering some way to distribute the load around a bit. This is probably not necessary, but if I had a piece of rigid material that fit exactly I'd probably go for that.

I'd say that one of the legs will be just about .5 inches off the floor - pretty significant!

0 Not allowed!
    Look for some old or new cedar door shims at your building supply store. You can buy a small bundle for a couple of bucks. They will work or use some old cedar shingles. I ,m a journeyman carpenter and never seen a tank that could not be leveled. Make sure your level is accurate too.

I once thought I was Brave, but I can't stop crying. "Kendal Payne"
    Tanks
    135g. 6' -"currently"under reno. to river tank for 12-L204 Panaques and 12 Cory Sterbai
    135g. DIY 48"X28"X24"- 1/2" glass. 7-wild L046Hypancistrus zebra
    65g.- 7 [B]wild[/B]L066 Hypancistrus King tigers 6 - 30g. fry tanks
    BE responsable!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, sounds good. But, won't a huge amount of the weight be on a tiny space where the bottom of the stand/leg meets the shim? Or does this not matter?

Should the shim be connected to the leg? glued? something?

thanks again!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-H
    Seems simple enough, but this things is pretty heavy so I'm concerned that a simple shim could slip or crush. I have wooden shims (i.e. for drywalling, etc.) and some plastic shims for toilets, etc..

The shims are pointy, though, so I'm concerned that there could wind up being 2 or 3 hundred pounds on half a sq. inch of shim. I think I'm going to consider something more permanent, like making a small wood extension to one or more legs of the stand, but that seems like a pain, too.

Since the floor is so old, I am also considering some way to distribute the load around a bit. This is probably not necessary, but if I had a piece of rigid material that fit exactly I'd probably go for that.

I'd say that one of the legs will be just about .5 inches off the floor - pretty significant!
    I have a 150 gallon on wood shims that has carpet underneath with no problems. did not read last post. if it is 1/2 inch and you have legs i would look at metal shim that is pretty big gap. I perfer stands with flat bottoms not feet too much weight placed in one spot vs spread out.
    Last edited by mediamonster; 07-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    150 Gallon: 3 Pacu, 3 Plecos, 1 Dinosaur Bichir, 2 Pictus Cats. Filter: 1 Cascade 700, 1 Rena XP4 and 1 Rena XP3
    46 Gallon Bow Front (Son's Room): 1 Dovii (wolf Cichlid). Filter: 1 Rena XP3
    46 Gallon Bow Front (Daughter's Room): (overstocked) 3 Black Mollies, 2 Sunburst Plates, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Albino Tiger Barbs, 2 Glass Fish, 4 unknown (mother bought them), 1 small Albino Pleco. Filter: 1 Rena XP3 (ton of water changes)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually I would much prefer a flat bottom stand, too. I am on hardwood floor so the weight isn't going to distribute as well as I want it to. I'm not worried about the floor coming down, but this is an 1980 house so I don't want it to sag, dimple, etc.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank Dave?
    What about building a platform you can set the stand on? Just shim the platform and set the tank on it.Make it out of 1" plywood and stain it to match the floor.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a picture of the stand that you could post?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies.

This is a 55 gallon Aqueon corner tank with matching stand. It turns out they do have one that is flush to the floor rather than having 4 legs! I haven't seem the bottom but I assume it's a fairly narrow footing that meets the floor. Still, that's WAY better for distribution than the one I had seen.

I called the local store and they said sure, they will have this one for me when I pick everything up on Friday (woohoo!)

Looks like this:

This presents an odd problem, though, how do I shim this thing? I guess in the same way.

Northernguy, I like the idea of putting a piece of ply down under the tank to further distribute the weight but it seems even harder to shim it that way. The ply isn't 100% rigid and the shims are only around the edges, so it seems like it would eventually sag or bow.

I thought that one idea would be to take a piece of 1 inch ply and get a really good planer. Then I could try to plane it smooth with a slight angle on one side, which would make a sort of giant shim - perfect! That could be beyond my ability but actually it seems like it could work.